First Moving Coil (MC) Cartridge Acquisition

I have been listening to MM carts my whole life. I am interested in dipping my toes into the MC stream to see what sonic improvements can be had. I am looking for recommendations in the $1K range. Currently, I am running an Ortofon 2M Black and Shure JICO MM. Turntable is a Merrill Super 12 Polytable, Jelco 750 tonearm, into a Herron VTPH-2A phono stage and Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum 2 integrated.

I would appreciate any recommendations. I am entertaining Hana MC carts or something with .5mV or higher as I don’t want to get a SUT. Please provide any feedback on the Hana that A’goners have employed.
arturos73
I appreciate all of the well-reasoned responses. The AT ART9 was one I had not considered before, but is an intriguing cartridge.

Chakster - your advice about seller integrity and dealer support is well taken. Does anyone have a NOS MC dealer they recommend?

With any major audio purchase, i like to due thorough diligence. Thanks all for your input and recommendations.
I moved into a Soundsmith Mimic Star about a year ago. I had a MM Clear Audio virtuoso wood that cam with my new Marantz tt that Clear Audio built for Marantz. After having the Clear Audio cantilever get bent, how I still scratch my head. I inquired about having it repaired, and reading about others with similar issues, I spoke to Kat at Upscale audio who suggested a few great cartridges though after my shock of loss of my expense cartridge she told me that she really likes the Soundsmith and there warranty is only 20%of the cost of the cartridge. That was enough for me. I love the cartridge, was 1400 ish and think I paid 1200 apx. I since have had a cpl discussions with Peter Ledderman of Soundsmith who has a life long customer with the cost of such a delicate item. Love the sound!!!  Good luck
My giant killer moving coil cartridge is the Ortofon MC-3 Turbo. About $450.00 and I must admit that everytime I need another cartridge, I keep purchasing this one. I just can't justify spending more unless I go above $1500.00. Honestly, if I was going to spend $1500.00 on a MC phono cartridge, it would be to buy three Ortofon MC-3 Turbo carts instead!
Or you can try the AT AT33PTG/2 it has a micro linear stylus and you can pick one up for around $550.00