Best speakers out there for Midrange and Highs

Hello Everyone!

I would like some advise about what are some of the better speakers out there for a 2 channel system - with use of subwoofers.

I currently use a pair of significantly large - full range speakers (Revel Salon2), that go down below 20hz. Even though my speakers go down so low, I still desired more air movement / sound pressure in the room - to make the sound as palatable as possible.

I found that combining the Salon2 with an external active crossover (JL Audio CR-1) and 2 Subs (JL Audio F113s) sounds excellent. Soundstage is close to like being at a concert, and surprisingly to me, was that imaging has not been lost. Furthermore, adjusting the phases on the subwoofers basically made the speakers and subs act like a singularity and helped the system sound even more exciting. I cross over at 90hz with a 24Db decay.

However, can’t help thinking about the obvious - that I am waisting all that available bass capability on the Salon2s. So I was wondering what speakers out there could be even more appropriate for my configuration. These speakers need not go down so low - Down to 55HZ would be more than enough. On the other hand, Salon2s also have a very strong midrange and highs, so I would like the new speaker to be either:

1) Better in the mids and highs (whether same price as the Salon2 or possibly more expensive), or
2) As good in the mids and highs as the Salon2s but less expense

Very much appreciate your recommendations.

Thank you in advance!

Ag insider logo xs@2xjmarshak
This is great! A lot of interesting and diverse opinions..as expected in this excellent forum.

For now, I’ll stay with Salon2. I really love them in my system and I think they are really not a lot of money for what they offer.

Again, thanks everyone for your thoughts and recommendations!.
I'M A "CONEHEAD", and all I can do is recommend what I had in my own LR- the Egglestonworks Andra-2. BUT The current version-3's use much faster midrange drivers than before. They are easy to drive (200W/ch SS) and easy to position. They sound like a real piano and that's good enough for me. They also extend down to 19Hz with ease with two X 12 inch drivers in each speaker. My room is 14X20 so you might want the next largest model. But they're quite similar to Sonus Faber speakers for naturalness if you like them also. Subs are OK, but I don't "get" the importance of bass down to 15Hz, unless you want the impact of Van Halen played at concert volume. I like pipe organ recordings and the Egg's outperformed Wilson's Maxx-2. Wiring up subs and crossovers (and even EQ) sounds like a lot of work. A full-range speaker that is designed to accurately (but gently) reproduce every kind of music there is would be where I could be satisfied. Von Schweikert speakers are also full-range champions, and reportedly have bass that descends down into the teens. Plus they have level controls on the rear panel already included that you can tailor the sound with. The newest series are quite expensive, though. As for monitors, 50Hz Is (as far as I'm concerned) already excellent bass, and other than sheer volume, provides 90% of the illusion of being full range. I've sat too close to too many rock bands in concert, one of which I just had to leave early rather than lose my hearing, and that WAS back in the "good old days". 

@ @french_fries - Thank you, its a good point! Though I’ve never heard the Andra 2 or 3, I assume with the 2x12" drivers on them, they produce as much bass pressure as needed on their own. So I believe (among other reasons), that these specific speakers are made to eliminate the need for external subs. I mean hey - not just one 12" woofer but 2 on each speaker! Not sure if any of the woofers are actively driven by internal amplification?

BTW..There are other speakers out there that don’t need external subs and they are huge, like the Focus Stalla, or the Evolution Acoustics MM2/MM3. I also mentioned earlier about the Paradigm Personas 9H - excellent sounding (I heard it) and much smaller then the others but these have internally active subwoofers...also very high efficiency.

I know, originally, this thread was not about bass, but bass is an integral part of the speaker. And at some point, it comes down to cost. None of the above excellent options are very cheap :) In the right conditions I agree that the Salon2 don’t need external subs either and some people on the thread have made a case for that. I calculated that that the equivalent area of all the Salon2 ’bass’ drivers is approximately 13.5" in diameter...that’s no joke either!. So, to digress, I did purchased the DSpeaker room analyzer which arrives today- thanks to @soix. We’ll see how it goes :).
Contact George Kaye and inquire of him about a set of his modified esl 63's.
OR....if you've deep enough pockets try to find the Sequerra uber costly full range ribbon speaker system.
 Otherwise, Magnepans +  Sequerra T-1 ribbon tweeters with the appropriate attenuation to properly match the Maggies! 
 You'll never do better excepting a private orchestra and the concert hall to hear them in! ;-)