At what price point do I run into diminishing returns on an MC Cartridge?

I need to replace my MC cartridge.  I've had limited experience with them but I have certainly noticed a dramatic difference in performance.  My first 3 were priced at $500 Sumiko, $900 Ortofon and $5000 Linn Kandid.  The difference between my first cartridge and second - nearly double in price, was a very noticeable improvement.  Then I took the plunge and spent $5000 (after tax) for my Linn Kandid cartridge.  The difference and improvement in the quality of sound was startling.  The soundstage was like nothing I'd ever heard before.  Coupled with my newly acquired McIntosh MP 1100 phono pre-amp and I was hearing things in LP's that quite frankly I had never heard before.  Amazing!  So here's the question: At what price point do I run into seriously diminished returns on a cartridge investment?  I rather doubt I'm going to have "double" the quality of sound that I received with my Linn Kandid cartridge if e.g. I went up to a $10K cartridge. So, my question to you audiophiles with loads of experience, what is your opinion on what price point (neighborhood) would take me to a place where every dollar spent thereafter would yield only micro returns.  Said another way, what is the best price point to take anyone to the the same neighborhood as a person with "money to burn" on cartridges?  BTW, I realize there are probably some pearls that don't cost nearly as much - and that money doesn't always buy you love.  If you KNOW of those do tell.         
normantaylor
When your ears no longer hear an improvement!  

If this was addressed to me then i think hearing abilities is slightly better at 40 than at 60, so i have plenty of time to check various cartridges. And prior to choose inexpensive vintage MM or MC i owned modern $3k- $5k cartridges.  

Dear @daveyf  : "  are basically one and the same.... "

are not the same. Scan-Tech makes cartridges for many other companies according each company specs. 

Example Audioquest was one of those companies that used Scan-Tech and Linn is another one for several years and Scan-Tech manufacture the cartridges according Linn specs/voicing desires not according J.Carr.

My Akiva made it by ST has not a Lyra like proced sound, is really different as I'm sure the Kandid is different to the Lyra signature models. That  the cartridge body be similar to Lyra cartridge does not means the cartridge motor is simlar.

"""  Is there anything you don’t want to correct on these forums ? ""

only when exist a misunderstood or something is way wrong. I think that if you have information that put some " ligth " in a subject that can put " things " with the rigth " scenario " for not have misunderstood by other gentlemans then I think that you have to disclose that information. Obviously that's is up to you do it or not but I think that we all are here and in other forums to help us in between. Don't you think?.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.

@rauliruegas  I think you like to split hairs... please do look up what that means if you don’t already know.
Kandid is made by ScanTech... owners of Lyra, a brand name like I said before. One could say that Kleos is made by ScanTech ... and branded a Lyra.BTW, I never said that JCarr was the designer of the Kandid.
Good question.  A point of diminishing returns is probably different for everyone because of unique goals.

The OP specified MC cartridges recs.  I would suggest also looking at the associated phono stage.  MC cartridges are very sensitive to loading and capacitance.  It could be that a relatively modest change in a phono stage can yield a significant audible improvement.  For example try an external stage to replace an internal stage.  Try a SUT (if you haven't before).  Even a different phono cable can have a significant impact.

As for cartridges, there is great value to be found in  purchasing older/used cartridges then having them rebuilt.   Remember that a cartridge is a mechanical device, and it does wear out over time.   I chose a Denon 103D and then had it rebuilt to Ruby Level by SoundSmith.  I could have spent more but the resulting sound is astonishingly good.  This cartridge displaced a Audio Technica AT33ML-occ (2nd from TOTL at one time).  Both were mounted into the same arm and table (Linn LP12 / ITTOK LVII) and same phono stages (ARC SP-10 MKII / AI M3a and M3b //  Both with and without Cinemag 3440 SUT).   

Several variables to consider in answering this question.
normantaylor ,
<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Let me put manufacturer's thoughts into this. The subject is very subjective as I can pun. Most of the responses are based on person's experience , but the experience usually run into just few items. Being in the cartridge re-sell and cartridge manufacturing business for 20 years and having hundreds and hundreds of clients every year I could say that the average audiophile runs through 3-10 cartridge over the period of serious listening. I could count on my fingers people who owned more than 10 quality cartridges for the entire life. People telling truth from their heart based on 3-10 cartridges experience. Sadly the truth is mis-leading.

Most of analog gurus here ignore few important issues with phono cartridges.

1. stylus lifespan of high quality diamond is 1000-1200 hours. Low quality 200-300 hours. The distortion starts around 50- 60% of a lifespan.

2. Dampher life is 6 month to 3 years. Distortion based on this could start from the hour one all the way to the stone age of dampfer.

3. Oxidation of coils changes the impedance and connectivity all the time and it not improving the sound over time.

Therefore speaking and comparing vintage cartridges performance is close to believing in voodoo miracles. The ugly truth behind purchasing phono cartridge is the money you invested in this are gone. It hurts, but you have to admit it.

What do you have in return- the joy of high quality sound. The limit is your pocket and your ego.

Manufacturer's hardware expenses to produce entry level and top of the line cartridge are never more than 10%. Quality control expenses most of the time is the same. Why the prices of the same brand has up to 1000% difference? The answer is- research time and tune work done to make sound improvement. When we launched new Aidas Rainbow cartridges line we gone through 200+ damping composites just to get the desired quality, rigidity and sound pattern. It took us close to 18 month of countless tests and rejections. The generator, the coils material, and many-many other factors and combinations contribute to the better than before sound. We are closely examine all new models on the market to see what's good and what's not. This concerns only real deal High End cartridge manufacturers. There are 2-3 on the market that I can name. All other produce average quality cartridges that change model names and prices on a regular basis.

Finally let's get close to the discussion subject.

1. Before going into purchasing a new cartridge ask yourself why did you buy the one you have now? What was the trigger?

2. Comparing new cartridge sound at any price to your old cartridge is not relevant most of the time, because you hear different sound that was originally.

3. If it was great improvement in the past, may be it would be the same with the old or similar model now without investing more $$.

4. All the review in magazines is just advertising, nothing more. They are leading you to the brand only. To test the brand is your job. Unfortunately there is no other way to do this, but to hear it with your own ears. Spending $30 twice a year to visit shows may save you few thousand. Also driving 200 miles to a far away show room could save you the same $$.

5. If your gear set up is highly tuned and properly managed the difference will show right away.

My rule of lost signal is dominant no matter what. If you loose quality signal because you connect $10K cartridge with .99c shell lead- you won't get it even you have $100K further in line.

6. Any brand has it's own sound pattern. That's the way design team wants to hear it. It is their taste, not yours. It will go down the line from base model to top model. If something bothers you in base model- most likely it will be persistent further on.

7. If sound pattern of a new entry level cartridge made real difference - most likely top model will have the same effect with more tunable mid- upper tones.

8. The devil is in the details. Test the cartridge with the music you will listen to. If you are up for piano or violin be sure that

your eardrums won't be damaged with some aggressively sounding but great on the other type of music cartridges.

Every 2 years I publish my personal cartridge grading for public use. I will do this again in few days. You are more than welcome to visit these posts along with my web sites

aidasaudio.com

virausa.com