Need advice on new TT

Hi all

I'm currently using a restored Garrarad 301 but looking to go for a modern TT. Budget is around 20k$
My short list so far is Brinkmann Balance, Kronos Sparta and AMG Viella. I'm looking only for a table to use with my current 2 arms - Reed 3p and Ortofon 309D.
Any thoughts you wanna share with me on this ?
Thanks in advance to all repliers.
icorem
@millercarbon in two years they should have the bugs worked out of the 992
Chakster

Do you purchase a piece of audio gear because you like the look of if it or the sound of it? The reality is that the turntable in person looks absolutely stunning, with the light up buttons giving the table a modern high tech look that makes the table seem alive even when it is not playing.

Also the light up buttons bring the turntable into a modern design aesthetic which mirrors what other modern components look like.

As per design, form follows function, a rounded chassis means that energy will not reflect off of the chassis surface any where as easily as a pure flat surface.

Every part of the Cue was painstakingly thought out, this is why it took five years before the table was ready to hit the market, the first version was shown in 2016, and it wasn’t until the speed controller was in its final version that the table was deemed perfect and put into production.

Mr. Lavigne, we really respect you as a reviewer and audiophile, however, you know something is very special when you hear something that totally makes you re-evaluate everything you know about the subject.

The Cue is brand new to the market and so there have not been any professional reviews as of yet, we signed up to be the Onkk importer on the spot after hearing the table at the New York audio show, the sound of the table was extraordinary it took a pair of speakers we never loved and produced a three dimensional sound field with deep propulsive bass with an almost non existent level of surface noise, the sound was captivating.

If you would like to review one we can arrange it, we are waiting for the Scribe tonearm before we send the table out to reviewers for a formal review.

The one thing we would say with vinyl is that is is an inherently simple process to get proper reproduction, the issue is how many designs over complicate this process.

You don’t need more motors which make more noise nor counter rotating platters, the key is the execution of how to make a table which doesn’t add any noise and therefore doesn’t mask detail.

The Cue is a perfect example of using superb materials, and then executing that design with remarkable precision.

Paul was smart enough to know that there are companies out there that are experts in precision manufacturing, that it is more prudent to farm out the sub assemblies to these manufacturers as the cost to setup a facility in house to build a Cue from scratch would push the retail price from $20k ish price range to a $100k per table.

The speed controller is from Rehishaw high end industrial electronics company, he bearing from a high tech British race bearing company, the sand casted   plinth is from a company who makes molds and metal parts for racing companies.

There is nothing radical here just a remarkable degree of engineering with a revaluation of all the constituent sub assemblies and how they need to function together.

Paul has looked at every aspect of the table, from the proprietary mineral filled sand cast aluminum plinth, the non parallel design of that plinth, a nearly indestructible ceramic bearing, a state of the art speed control and regulation system, a damped totally quiet platter and clamping setup, and a potent suspension system, allows for a level of sound quality not found at this price point from any of the other players.

For this reason we purchased the table on the spot, to hear a Cue is to find out just how remarkable vinyl can sound.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ
Look for our new company
Audio Intellect Audio Imports in 2020

I have the old Nottingham Analogue Mentor, which is said to be inferior to their new Dais. The NA Dais is near the top of your price range.

It is surprisingly close to my DIY air bearing TT. As to the big Technics, I was at the local launch, and they had a motor on display. When I held it to my ear and rotated the spindle, I could hear (albeit faintly) noise from the sleeve bearings. On this basis, not the audition (sounded God-awful to me, with the setup they had), I suspect that the Technics is inferior to a good belt drive.

If I were buying off-the-shelf, I would definitely consider NA. YMMV.
NA Mentor (and almost certainly the Dais) also goes very well with the Trans-Fi air bearing tonearm, perhaps the best bargain in high end. Uses standard parts and clever engineering instead of custom machining - keeps the cost down, ~$1K.
Dave and Troy,

best wishes with the Onkk Cue.

when you actually have a production product, and that end product has been compared directly against some credible competition, then we should all take notice. i agree on paper it looks promising.

and until you have a production product and have pricing, it’s not relevant to this thread. remote chance of this ending up close to $20k USD.

i think your efforts and communications here are premature.

we all benefit when a great turntable comes to market. so again, i wish you the best. i'll be at Axpona in April and RMAF in October and i will watch for it for sure.