Best speakers out there for Midrange and Highs

Hello Everyone!

I would like some advise about what are some of the better speakers out there for a 2 channel system - with use of subwoofers.

I currently use a pair of significantly large - full range speakers (Revel Salon2), that go down below 20hz. Even though my speakers go down so low, I still desired more air movement / sound pressure in the room - to make the sound as palatable as possible.

I found that combining the Salon2 with an external active crossover (JL Audio CR-1) and 2 Subs (JL Audio F113s) sounds excellent. Soundstage is close to like being at a concert, and surprisingly to me, was that imaging has not been lost. Furthermore, adjusting the phases on the subwoofers basically made the speakers and subs act like a singularity and helped the system sound even more exciting. I cross over at 90hz with a 24Db decay.

However, can’t help thinking about the obvious - that I am waisting all that available bass capability on the Salon2s. So I was wondering what speakers out there could be even more appropriate for my configuration. These speakers need not go down so low - Down to 55HZ would be more than enough. On the other hand, Salon2s also have a very strong midrange and highs, so I would like the new speaker to be either:

1) Better in the mids and highs (whether same price as the Salon2 or possibly more expensive), or
2) As good in the mids and highs as the Salon2s but less expense

Very much appreciate your recommendations.

Thank you in advance!

Ag insider logo xs@2xjmarshak
LOL, this is getting funny... you will get 10,000 opinions

I personally own Wilson Benesch.  I have owned a lot of speakers over the last 15 years and the Benesch are very pure and dynamic sounding.  There is no crossover on the mid-range with the Benesch and it sounds like it.  Good luck in your search
@jmarshak,

Nothing, apart from damaging volume levels, causes more distress to the reproduction of recorded sound than the stresses generated by the attempt to reproduce bass. Naturally enough these physical stresses increase in relation to the amount of bandwidth demanded.

Sure, you might argue that some designs can handle these pressures better than others, but they all feel them. 

Taking the low bass out of the equation always makes life easier for any loudspeaker - including the Revel Salon 2s as you found. That resulting freedom of expression is what you're after I suspect. If so then your problem might just be the sheer overwhelming number of options open to you.

Always difficult to recommend any speakers as you really need to hear them first, especially so in your case. Having said that you can't ever go far wrong with any of the classic bookshelf Spendor/Harbeth designs (esp the Spendor S3/5R or the Harbeth M30). 

I suspect that the Eclipse TD712z's would ultimately be very hard to beat (at any price) if you can get them to combine with your subs. Ditto for the Joseph Audio bookshelf models - another stratospherically regarded limited bandwidth design.
@jmarshak
You mentioned Raidho. The XT series is very dynamic but lack the layers of resolution of the D series which is less dynamic. That said with the D series you really want the D3.1's for the best midrange. I had the D1 D2/D2.1 and D3.1. The D3.1 and up are the best. That said positioning with Raidho is pretty criticle. Ideally they need to be about 9ft apart (and more is better if you have the room) and toed in pointing to you shoulders. I have not heard the new TD series so they could be more dynamic.

But if you want even more dynamics and clarity check out the new Borresen speakers. I have the 03's and one main reason I got them after the D3.1's is they make the D3.1 sound muffled. The 01's and 02's are better than the D1.1 or D2.1 the 03 (and 05) have much clearer midrange. The Borresens also sound best when positioned like Raidho's.

Best of Luck with you're search
Focal Diablo are likely to offer a significant improvement. Much of the money in the Studio 2 goes to the large cabinet and bass drivers. 

I would look at the new A1 from Magico as well.  All depends on what you like and if you run subs 100% of the time. 

As noted, not sure I would cut off the Revel so high (or at all). Could look at them as part of a bass array with the subs.
Wow, lots of opinions indeed! Thanks everyone!
I’ve comprised a list from all the above (Apologies if I might missed anything in the thread). Perhaps the summarized list may help others reading the thread:

TAD Ref
Vivid Kaya S12 - tried
Vimbeg Amea
KEF Reference 1 - tried
Kaiser Chiara
Raidho -
Focal Diablo - tried and are go to speakers
Wilson - tried, not small enough :)
Marten Duke 2
Blackthorn 1
Bowers & Wilkins 800 D2+ - not small enouth :)
Sound Lab Majestic 545, 645
Goldenear Triton 5’s
Martin Logans 15A’s - tried
Vandersteen
Harbeth Compact7-Es 40th anniversary
Quad 2912, 57
Magneplanars.
Tidal speaker - cant afford any of them:)
Wilson Benesch Discovery 2 - Interesting

Plenty of food-for-thought here going into the new year!  Some of speaker types on the list I never considered before - not sure why.   Again, thanks everyone for sharing.

Happy Holidays and happy listening!