Playing mono records properly without breaking the bank - a phono pre-amp question.

Hi there.. I can use some suggestions for playing mono records properly.I'm about to put together my vinyl system and trying to figure out how to best play mono records without having to either buy a separate TT, have a turntable with two tone arms or have a switchable head-shell, all of which are not an option at the moment.  Someday, I think having two tone arms will be the way, but now I need the most economical way to have a nice experience.
I will have at a minimum, a nice stereo stylus/cartridge, but I'm wondering if I should be focusing my phono-preamp search to those with a dedicated mono switch?  I have a Hegel integrated and there's no mono option. 
Are there  simple ways (contraptions)  other than a phono-preamp with a mono switch, to achieve high quality mono playback with a stereo stylus? My search for the right phono preamp would be much easier if I knew I didn't need to make sure it had mono.

Appreciate any suggestion or direction - would love to hear your person experience playing mono on a generally "stereo" rig.

hrabieh
No, there is really no "good" external switch for this purpose, because the signal voltage from a cartridge, even a high output one, is very low compared to line level signals, and passing that signal through a switch will inevitably do harm.  Some similarly recommend a Y-adapter placed in the line from cartridge to phono input.  That's not a good idea, because of the impedance anomalies that will result.  (It's too complicated to explain here.)  However, it might "work" to place a Y-adapter in the line between the phono stage output and the linestage input, if you are using separates. Because impedances will also be affected in this topology, you'd have to experiment on a case by case basis (phono stage/linestage combos).

Depends upon the design and quality of the switch.
I don't understand the comment that the DV17D3 per se isn't good for mono compared to other modern stereo MC cartridges.  All modern stereo cartridges should be about the same in mono, for good or ill, and assuming a stylus shape that is "modern", i.e., line contact or modified elliptical type.  A stereo cartridge with a conical tip might do mono slightly better than the foregoing, but such a stylus shape is not very good for stereo in the first place.

Finally, you didn't ask this question, but I wanted to comment that having a mono switch on your preamplifier to my ears gives about the same (good) result as using a mono cartridge.  I have both, and that's my opinion.  This thread will go on and on, so I would also mention here that there are both "true" mono cartridges and mono cartridges that are made from stereo cartridges by bridging the channels internally.  In the latter case, that is more or less like using a mono switch.  Also, IMO, there is tremendous benefit to playing mono LPs in mono, no matter how you get it done.  On the other hand, most mono LPs also sound "good" in stereo mode, if you cannot afford the equipment needed to go mono. You'll just hear more noise due to dirt in the grooves and to recorded hf that amounts to noise and is cancelled out in mono mode.

FWIW, if you are looking used for a phono preamp, I have a PS Audio GCPH that has a mono switch. It's a great preamp and very versatile with lots of loading options. I use a different preamp now, but kept the GCPH for a back up.
What Lewm said in the last two sentences. The phenomena is just a little more pronounced if you have a true mono cartridge like Miyajima.
I play a lot of Mono Jazz LP's from the late 40's early 50's.

Most cartridges will play Stereo and Mono well. For your described use, TT with Stereo cartridge is all you need. 

Last night I listened to mostly Mono Jazz LPs for 3 hrs with an audiophile friend. They all sounded quite involving (you will find, stereo or mono, it depends on the recording engineer's skills as much as the artists).

I moved my McIntosh MODE switch to Mono, back to Stereo, both sound very good, some might be slightly better in Mono mode, but Mono played by Stereo cartridge is still quite involving.

LP Stereo playback began in 1958. Some engineers anticipated that and recorded with two or more mics to be ready. Those masters can be re-engineered to Stereo successfully. Avoid 'mono reprocessed to stereo', they generally sound worse than the mono original.

I do advise that you get a TT with the possibility of adjustments.

I use this fully adjustable TT  which fits your budget

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120XUSB-Direct-Drive-Hi-Fidelity-Anti-Skate/dp/B07N3S4X3P/ref=asc_df_B07N3S4X3P/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312150547590&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8381325411824345964&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003512&hvtargid=pla-681677883325&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=70581793108&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312150547590&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8381325411824345964&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003512&hvtargid=pla-681677883325

The supplied cartridge is factory aligned, just level the TT and off you go. You may never change anything, but, then again, you might.

I changed the cartridge to this one (so I could lower the tracking weight). 

https://hifiheaven.net/shop/Shure-M97xE-Audiophile-Phono-Cartridge?language=en&currency=USD&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_rfvBRCPARIsANlV66MTfCEX1XGRPd6RY8AFCDxTaPR1TXzZgw3rNCawEV6Nlr320_5Wfw4aAs4iEALw_wcB

McIntosh MODE Switch has a MONO mode. (some, not all models).  

Stereo; Mono; Reverse Stereo; L or R hither and thither separately or together.

Mode Switch is a great help when balancing your system. Stereo Reverse is very revealing of any imbalance. My speakers have two rheostats for brilliance and Presence. They need to match each other, the Mode Dial is a big help with that. IF you change a cartridge, or check your existing one, Stereo Reverse is very helpful refining anti-skating for proper l/r groove tracking. L to R, ... all help get it right, I wouldn't live without it.