$27,500 for whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???

$27,500 is a nice chunk of change, even in the audiophile world.  I think we can all agree on this.  You can get a pretty kick ass system for that amount.  I think we can all agree on this, too.  I just read something at stereophile.com that almost...almost made me choke on my triscuit.   Luckily for me, I had water ready to go, knowing how dry those things are.  $27,500 is the price for a paint upgrade, a color called cranberry pearl finish on a pair of speakers made by Wilson, the Chronosonic XVX.   Now, when we hear the name Wilson, we all know what that means.   But come on man,  $27,500 for a paint upgrade. 
shtinkydog
@jon_5912, you've got me thinking now.

Anyone living in the West who has travelled much must have inevitably encountered people living in such dire poverty that they would make the poorest of us here seem affluent in comparison.

Against such a background $27,000 for a loudspeaker paint job does seem a trifle obscene, and not to mention sonically quite unecessary.

My entire system, including music must have cost me somewhere around $5k. Outside a couple of audiophile friends I personally don't know anyone who has spent anything near that amount on audio.

Having said that, it's probably my only comparitive extravagance in life. That's how much music means to me.

Probably also explains why the price/performance ratio of audio products matters so much to me.

So you'll never see me paying $27k for a Wilson loudspeaker paintjob, however unlikely that I will ever be in the position to do so. Even if I was, and my accountant advised it as a tax avoidance measure I'd much rather simply give the money away. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price%E2%80%93performance_ratio

Why are you even discussing it. For the super rich, they’ll get a kick out of telling friends over dinner at Masa they ordered it in the 27k paint option.
My brand new car cost me 25K and it came with a gorgeous black paint job.  When you think of the thousands of parts that make up the car, 27K for just a paint job is insane.  Then again, I am not some oil sheik living in Dubai.