Magnepan needs your help

Magnepan needs your help.

Are you willing to publicly give your feedback of Magnepan’s proposed new speaker concept? Below are the cities and dates of select cities for the first tour to hear public opinions. Instead of filling out focus group forms or giving information to Magnepan’s representatives at the demonstration, Magnepan is encouraging public debate. (Negative feedback can be just as valuable as positive feedback.)

If you are interested in hearing this speaker concept, it is critical that your dealer have your contact information. Winter storms could cause a delay of the tour.

Chicago-- Quintessence Audio, Wednesday, December 11th
Toronto-- Audio Excellence, Saturday, December 14th
Pittsburgh-- Butch’s Sound and Vision, Monday, December 16th
Northern New Jersey (Verona)-- Audio Connection, Wednesday, December 18th

- Wendell Diller, Magnepan
josh358
But seriously it was the Magneplaners multi panel for condo that got me excited :-) how fun !!!!
Doesn't Magnepan have competent in house listeners, and years of experience to judge for themselves, what sounds good.

Why ask for the opinion of the average audiophile at a dealers setup, which turned out to be useless with the 30.7 road trip?

How many 30.7 speakers were actually considered for purchase by all the 30.7 road trip listeners? The audience was just curiosity seekers!

There are many people that just do not like panel bass, because they listen to music "live amplified" through boxes, and want that sound at home. 

They already know how they sound and several reviewers have already listened and confirmed that it equals the sonics of the 30.7. Here's the second report and it sounds killer:

https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/coming-soon-maybe-magnepans-compact-307-for-condos/ 

So it isn't a finished project and the tour it isn't about drumming up sales. This speaker is a significant departure for Magnepan, so they want to find out whether customers and dealers are interested in buying or carrying it and to solicit opinions on things like cosmetics, which is why Wendell is asking everyone who attends to post their impressions online. It's more like a focus group than a sales tour. Then the reactions will help them make a decision on whether to proceed with the project before they invest in the industrial design and production engineering.
Thanks for the link to the HiFi Plus article, Josh. It confirms the design I anticipated and described on your thread over on the Planar Speaker Asylum, right down to the 6.5" woofers! Good to hear the subs will be self-powered, and I imagine a "shelving" circuit (6dB/octave boost at some frequency) will be built in to compensate for the dipole cancellation, as it is in the GR Research/Rythmik OB/Dipole Sub.
I was thinking you could get some *real* slam by adding a couple of those GR Research subs. :-)