What CD Transports Provide the Most Detail?

Hi,

I recently purchased a used PS Audio PerfectWave transport that replaced an eight year old, Philips based, AudioSpace CD8 that I was using as a transport.

I was amazed about how much better my system sounded (Theta Pro Basic III DAC, CJ17LS2, McCormack DNA-500, and Thiel CS5's).

My assumption is that the PWT provided more detail that translated into a better presence and aliveness to the sound.

Can anyone share their experience after trading their PWT for some other transport?

Thanks for listening,

Dsper
dsper
mofimadness4,

Have you ever critically listened to any Esoteric transports and, if so, do you have an opinion about them?

liste
Not only have I owned a couple of Esoteric transports, I was a dealer for awhile.

The Esoterics are excellent.  VERY well built and sound great.

I know this is simplistic, but it's the easiest way to say it:

If you are a CD, (digital) kinda guy, the Esoteric would be my choice.  Fast, detailed, solid, but digital.

If you are an analog guy, (like me), the CEC just sounds right.  Open, smooth, romantic...like, well, analog.

Really, two pretty different transports.  You couldn't go wrong with either one.
I currently own a PS Audio P15 power regenerator, a DirectStream DAC and CD transport.  I had the PerfectWave transport before the DirectStream model was introduced, and I found the newer model was well worth the upgrade, especially since I own about 100 SACDs.

The DirectStream CD transport uses a disk handling part provided by Oppo, who decided to get out of the business of providing those sorts of assemblies, so Paul decided to bulk up on spares (to support future repair requests) and to stop making the DirectStream available for sale.  If you can snag one of these for a reasonable price, I suspect you'll enjoy the improvement.

In my case I have the transport connected to the DAC using the I2S interface (an HDMI cable), pairing the two units, so when it's playing an SACD, it outputs pure DSD to the DAC.  The sound quality for that, and "regular" CDs is fantastic!
Hey Dpser just in case you’re unaware the majority of members at least acknowledge with a simple thanks and move on of responses to their specific questions.
Then I read you kept asking basically the same question Lol , usually the next step if your serious at all is to take the advice and try said components in your own system .
You already got some solid advice before you posted this question here .
Jeesh ,.
Hey Dpser just in case you’re unaware the majority of members at least acknowledge with a simple thanks and move on of responses to their specific questions.

Then I read you kept asking basically the same question Lol , usually the next step if your serious at all is to take the advice and try said components in your own system .
You already got some solid advice before you posted this question here .
Jeesh ,.

+1...you are acting like we are trying to sell you something and making us work for the sale.  I really don't give a rat's ass what you buy.  Just trying to be helpful...