My Venture into Hifi with Vandersteen Model 1

First off I must truly say how much I love this form and the wealth of information, the members provide. I was lucky to pick up a pair of Vandersteen Model 1 Speakers for a prayer. Lets say they were almost given away. The aesthetics of the speakers are I would have to say about a 9, seems as though they were frozen in time. I do not know much about these particular speakers. My question to the knowledgeable members out there, are these speakers any good and are they worth giving a go! I was planning on using them with my McIntosh MC30 tube amps. I got these from my Step father, he no longer has any use for them and figured I would like them. I guess I will hang on to them for a while and see how the Vandersteen sound with them.

Any input will be well appreciated.

Thanks
dhunte21
Well....talk all you want about Vandersteen 1C's and tube amplifiers. Trust me....it's an awesome combination. I just finished listening to Eva Cassidy "Live at Blues Alley" on my system, and I had tears in my eyes. The music sounded absolutely incredible !! She was in the room, singing just for me. These Vandy 1C's are beautiful speakers.
I Looked at the speakers and unfortunately they are not 1C they are just the model 1, I am sure with this in mind they are surly going to sound much different.
I've only heard the 1Cs, but (and I'm sure Audioconnection, John Rutan can answer this) although the Vandersteens have improved over time, making them such "well sorted" speakers with years of evolutionary development, I think your 1s still carry the basic house sound and that you really will get the essence of what the current 1C has to offer - I odn't think it is night and day, but again, I suspect JohnnyR has heard every VS speaker ever made.... In other words, they might be different, but not "much" different.
The oldest Vandersteen 1s are still a solid speaker and you will enjoy.
They sold for about 549 the pair back in early to mid 1980s
The later Vandersteen 1 Bs were a nice improvement over the 1.
1 C used new improved drivers, crossover improvements woofer moved from a 7 inch to 8 inch,newer tweeter offered to play louder with lower distortion and driver alignment.
The current model Vandersteen 1CI further improved by using the same tweeter thats in the Vandersteen 3A Sig, crossover improvements internal structural advances as well as improved transmission venting delivers a
noticeable smoother in room bass response,upgraded Binding post, same ones used in Signature models = improved transparency.
This now pushes this 1095 dollar the pair product into a whole different league.
Best Johnnyr