My Venture into Hifi with Vandersteen Model 1

First off I must truly say how much I love this form and the wealth of information, the members provide. I was lucky to pick up a pair of Vandersteen Model 1 Speakers for a prayer. Lets say they were almost given away. The aesthetics of the speakers are I would have to say about a 9, seems as though they were frozen in time. I do not know much about these particular speakers. My question to the knowledgeable members out there, are these speakers any good and are they worth giving a go! I was planning on using them with my McIntosh MC30 tube amps. I got these from my Step father, he no longer has any use for them and figured I would like them. I guess I will hang on to them for a while and see how the Vandersteen sound with them.

Any input will be well appreciated.

Thanks
dhunte21
Rrog, staying on OPs topic is as simple as saying yes to both questions asked, they are good and they are worth giving a go with the MC30s - that is the answer and the end of the topic. But it would be boring to stop there, and we needn't and you didn't, by introducing the notion of the "next step", which would be to consider a VS subwoofer down the road, and a perfectly reasonable next step, that would certainly improve mid-range clarity and make life alot easier on the MC30s. The question I posed, was (given adequate finances, and a room large enough to give the 3As the space they need) if the next step to really improve upon the 1 would be to sell and trade up to the 3A or add a subwoofer. Not sure what the price differential would be, but the 3A to my ears is a significantly better speaker than the 1, most notably in much more resolved midrange (and of course deeper, more dynamic bass), so if it were my money and I was contemplating my next move, not that the OP is looking that far ahead (yet), I would argue that the 3A Sig is the better next step, IF one chooses to stay on the Vandersteen roadmap, absent financial considerations, or too small a room.

I trust the OP has been given enough encouragement to hook this stuff up, sit back, and enjoy - he is very much into the hi-fi venture with his equipment - and if he is truly a newbie, much better than he knows.
Public 57{would you take a Vandersteen 1c with a 2wq over a pair of 3As}
In his system with the 30 WPC power amps he would be best served with the 1C/2WQ combination. The 3A Sigs would need a more robust amp to properly drive them.
Johnnyr
Agree, if he stays with the MC30s in the future (and why not), the 3A Sigs would not be an ideal match.
Dhunte21, you should be aware that there is a wide variety of opinions on the differences that cables make. Many maintain that they make little or no difference at all, as long as they are well made and not faulty in some way. Before dropping big bucks, I'd get some inexpensive stuff (16-gauge lamp cord or something similar) from Radio Shack or Home Depot and start enjoying music. In any case, I believe even small changes in the position of the speakers can absolutely swamp any sonic difference cables might make.

-Bob
Well....talk all you want about Vandersteen 1C's and tube amplifiers. Trust me....it's an awesome combination. I just finished listening to Eva Cassidy "Live at Blues Alley" on my system, and I had tears in my eyes. The music sounded absolutely incredible !! She was in the room, singing just for me. These Vandy 1C's are beautiful speakers.