A visit to the (Audio) Doctor

Looking at audio equipment can be a painful experience, sort of like looking at new (or used cars) or a trip to the dentist. I spent 4.5 hours at Audio Doctor in New Jersey. It was a great experience. Dave left a meeting early to see me. He knew that I was not looking at his very high end stuff, but he spent the whole day with me. No pressure, changing speakers many times and going back to a couple of them repeatedly. I have it narrowed down to two speakers, Vivid 1.5 or Janszen Valentia with air motion. Leaning toward the Vivids (pending wife approval). The shop is full of lots of incredible audio equipment at all price ranges. Clearly this is a business that is run out of appreciation of sound rather than maximizing profits.I am hesitant to go to small intimate shops like this out of concerns or pressure. This was just the opposite. Highly recommended.
crwindy
All salesmen are prejudice. No single audio dealer has everything that I want. For example, if you go to the AD for advice, would they actually tell you to go down the street to audition a pair of Revel’s or Wilson’s because that would fit tour needs better than what stock? That’s like saying a Toyota dealer telling a customer they would be better off buying a Ford.
I would agree that AD didn’t have to support the “gray” market product, but it sounds like AD did everything he could to put the client down. I didn’t hear anything that the client took many hours of AD’s time then went online to buy it much cheaper. AD should have explained the scenario but should have assisted the maybe future client to help find someone to help him.
Now, if I was that person that needed help, the next time I was looking for a new component, I know who I wouldn’t go to.
I personally don’t think it’s appropriate for dealers to respond to audio threads because of their biases. All audiophiles have a bias to what they have purchased, but they aren’t trying to sell you something.
Rbstereno, it is not a matter of prejudice, we have discussed on show reports that we have heard and liked many products that we don't stock, which include WIlson and Rockport for example.  We stated in our Axpona report how good the latest series of Wilsons sound and we don't sell the brand now do we? 

We have also on occasion recommended people check out other dealers as well as our shop in discussions.

We as a dealer choose our products because we feel that they offer things the other products don't, for example Revel doesn't offer a loudspeaker which has the room tuning capabilities of a Legacy or a Paradigm, does that mean we feel that our speakers are "better" it really does depend on what you prefer, in our mind the Revel although still excellent is outclassed by the Paradigm in terms of drvier technlogy and a few other advances. 

We have one of the largest assortment of reference loudspeakers in the NYC area which include the Kef Blade, the Paradigm Persona 9H, the Legacy Aeris, we will be moving into the Vimberg line in 2020 and the Alta Audio Diamond Hestia as well.  

Does that mean the Paradigms sound better that is up to the user. The Pardigm's when everything is right with them sound remarkable whien not correct they sound foward. In terms of imaging, bass response, resolution they are state of the art, however you still need to like the overall presentation.

Our approach is to offer clients choices and not to try to ram one particular brand down peoples throats as a famous NJ dealer tends to do with one particular brand of loudspeakers.

If you ask us which is our best loudspeaker we reply which is the best car a BMW, a Mercedes, an Audi, Cadilliac, Lexus, Infiniti, These statements that one loudspeaker or product is better is just stupid, all of the products we sell as well as the other dealers are all oustanding, as a dealer you choose products based on a whole slew of criteria.

As per putting this client down, hardly, if you read his comments he felt he was in his own words "entittled to get service from us because we are a dealer of that product." 

Doesn't sound like a person who will be flexible or willing to see things from anothers perspective.

Also for the record we have assisted many clients with repairs from gear not purchased from us, this particular client rubbed us the wrong way and in business as with any relatioship there are occassions where things don't work out and for this we are sorry that things didn't work out for this person with us. 

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ