Dazed & Confused

Listening to mostly jazz, solo instruments and vocals I find my Martin Logan Spire hybrids to sound awesome, but recently I was listening to some both "Busy" 90’s rock and classical (lots of instruments playing loudly together) and I find the music starts to sound garbled and annoying (to bright), so much so, I turn it off.
I was wondering if you all might have some suggestions on some speakers that would be a little more forgiving with busy/loud music that I could possibly switch over to when listening to different types of music. That is unless I can find speakers that can handle all styles of music, then I would consider taking the hit ($$$) on selling the Spires.

Without getting into room size and dynamics, lets just call it a standard room, I was also looking for something more efficient. The Spires need a huge amount of power (and volume) to sound good. Looking more for something I can listen to loud but also still enjoy the music at a much lower volume if that’s at all possible. Neutral and not to bright.
Living in the sticks, I can’t just jump in the car to go demo speakers. Only once, in the past, did I purchase a set of speakers online and unheard, going solely on the sales person’s recommendations. I learned the hard way to never do that again!

Equipment now: Coda CSiB integrated amp with W4S 2v2 SE Dac running Roon Nucleus.

I also wanted to mention that the Spires have phenomenal base, so much so I sold the 2 subs I was originally using with them. Floor standers and bookshelfs have come along way in SQ these days, but if I need to purchase another set of subs the budget is starting to dwindle.

No vinyl or CD’s, just Tidal.

$3,000 - $5000 budget, new or newer demos.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice you may have to offer!
Paul
high-amp
You might want to bring your amp and also the music that you thought came across  too bright to see how they like each other. I have a feeling you like what you hear:)

Hi all.

This was the manufactures response to your suggestion Al:

“The DAC has hot outputs that may be too much for your integrated. I would suggest a level of 55 and if that is still too much then go RCA at that level.”

I tried RCA and what I got was a lower volume and a little less detail (lackluster sound ) than with balanced connections. Definitely a little brighter, but in a nice sort of way. I turned the volume down to 55 (from 65) as the manufacturer suggested and have left it at that for now. Any comments?

Regarding room treatment /speaker placement, I have the speakers at  7’ foot centers which  made a positive difference compared to 5’ centers. I may go more, but my speaker cables aren’t long enough. Because I have my equipment off to one side, my cable is already 20” in length, which is pretty long in my opinion. I have no problem going longer, what do you all think? If I do, I’d be happy to upgrade the Belden 5000 and am open to suggestion please, (ieales?)

Erik, mijostvn1, tuberis: I recently purchased some custom cut acoustic panels to place behind the speakers, which are 2 1/2’ from the back wall (ML suggests 2 – 3’) but with increasing the distance between them the panels no longer fit due to the suspended shelving on the back wall.

This house, nor the last, never had a dedicated music room. Being smaller homes and with a family, my listening rooms had to be multi-functional.

I know this room is far from being acoustically perfect but this one reason I purchased Martin Logans. From the research done I found them advertised to the most forgiving speaker as far as being affected by hard surfaces and room dimensions. As long as they are not to close to the back wall and now knowing not to close together, they sound pretty good.

Yes, there is definitely a tight sweet spot. I use the ML flashlight method mostly and try to compromise that 1/3 panel reflection between the chair I listen to on the same level of the speakers (which is a bit to close) and the barstool up the kitchen, the one on the left in the photo, which is pretty close to the center.

I think the biggest problem has been the issue of poor recordings, a lot of fantastic advice has been given and my system sounds better because of it but with garbage in and getting garbage out really seems to be the moral of the story here!

By the way northbeach/mijostyn1, Salon 1 offered up the SF Sonetto’s at $4,500 for the pair, oh so tempting! Using restraint coupled with a pending move in the near future I may just wait to see where I’m going before changing out any gear.

The Dynaudio Contour 6.0 piques my interest bluemartini as does the Walsh Ohm f917025. So many options with nowhere to test drive any of them.

ieales, would you care to share with me your system? As in what tube equipment, speakers and cables you run?

Lastly, would anyone here recommend the Egglestonworks Emma Evo speaker, they are priced around $5,500 a pair. There is a post noted earlier this year but most comments relate to their upper, more costly lines, not their Emmas.

This was the manufactures response to your suggestion Al:

“The DAC has hot outputs that may be too much for your integrated. I would suggest a level of 55 and if that is still too much then go RCA at that level.”

I tried RCA and what I got was a lower volume and a little less detail (lackluster sound ) than with balanced connections. Definitely a little brighter, but in a nice sort of way. I turned the volume down to 55 (from 65) as the manufacturer suggested and have left it at that for now. Any comments?

Hi Paul,

I would also ask W4S how much sonic degradation they would expect, if any, when the DAC is asked to drive a balanced load impedance of 1K.

If their answer is that audibly significant degradation is likely to result then I would continue to use RCA interconnections, in which case the DAC is presented with a vastly more benign 50K load impedance, as I had indicated. And I would look elsewhere for the cause of the lackluster sound quality you referred to. It’s usually best, IMO, to try to determine and address the root cause of an issue rather than compensating for it by introducing a different issue.

On the other hand, if they feel that 1K would be no problem for the particular DAC, perhaps it would be best to return to the balanced cables and turn the DAC’s volume control down a bit further.

Of course, another variable in all of this is the relative sonic quality of the balanced vs. unbalanced interface circuits of the two components, which can probably be determined only by listening (if a 1K load is suitable for the DAC).

Good luck. Regards,
-- Al