Looking to improve CD playback

Ok, currently I am using a Arcam DV137 DVD player as a transport into a Bryston BDA-1 DAC via SPDIF coax.

I am considering the purchase of the Mirror Audio Tubador III DAC and the NuPrime CDT-8 dedicated CD transport. I have been keeping up with the threads regarding the Tubador DAC.

The Tubador can be purchased with I2S output via HDMI I believe this is an additional $400 cost to a $1500 DAC. The CDT-8 has I2S output via HDMI. I believe the general consensus is that I2S is the best interlink between digital components however have no personal experience using I2S. I know there are different connection types other than HDMI for I2S however lack knowledge about the benefits of any of the different types. I am looking for feedback on this DAC/Transport combination regarding benefits of the I2S connection provided.  

Obviously, I have options regarding timing of purchases. I could buy a the transport 1st and use SPDIF into my BDA-1 to explore the benefits of the CD only transport over my DVD player. I could purchase the Tubador without I2S at a later date. The Tubador could be updated with I2S at a later date if desired.  There are other transports available.

Any thoughts on this rather open ended question?  

mesch
I recently acquired an outboard DAC to use with my Arcam DV 139. I bought a Benchmark DAC 1 Pre for $500, and it just sounds killer.

It's all the DAC I'll ever need. Like you, I was wanting I2S, but wanting to spend less than it would take to get one. I'm very happy with the DAC 1.

Best of luck, regards,
Dan
i2s over HDMI is not an industry standard.  There are several vendors that use HDMI cable to transfer i2s, but that doesn't mean that any transport can be connected to any DAC using HDMI/i2s. 

For example, both Wyred4Sound and PS Audio have solutions that transfer i2s over an HDMI cable.  However, the pin configurations are completely different, which means that you cannot just connect a PS Audio transport to a Wyred4Sound DAC using i2 over HDMI.

Some companies also transfer i2s over an RJ45 cable (same as ethernet).  Their pin configurations may be different as well.

If you're really interested, I would check with the vendors on those products and ask them about their i2s/HDMI pin configurations to see if they are compatible.

You can always upgrade to different digital COAX cables and that will have a significant improvement as well.
mesch OP
I am motivated by the thinking that use of a NOS R2R DAC with CD playback might prove best

You are correct in thinking this, try to listen to an R2R Holo Spring Level2 or 3 dac, you can switch on the fly between it’s NOS and OS modes. (And it does DSD if your into that stuff.)
https://www.stereophile.com/content/holoaudio-spring-kitsun%C3%A9-tuned-edition-level-3-da-processor

And R2R Ladder Multibit is the best way to convert 16/44 24/96 or DXD all PCM and CD.

Cheers George
Isolate the CD player. Level the CD while spinning. Stabilize the CD itself. Get rid of scattered laser light. You’ll be light years ahead of everybody on your block.
Dan, I am sure your Arcam/DAC combination sounds great. As does my Arcam/DAC. I am just looking to maximize what I am getting from my CD collection. Also thinking now is the time to replace the BDA-1 while it will still provide me ~$700 on the used market, as I believe it remains a very good DAC. It just might be that I reconsider the I2S connection. 

Auxinput, I was concerned about there not being a standard for the HDMI I2S connection. I will consult with vendors regarding pin use. Given that the I2S input and other upgrades can be installed at a later date by Mirror Audio I am considering the purchase of the basic unit 1st and make decisions on upgrades after getting accustomed to the new DAC. It may be possible that Mirror Audio can configure the pin output to compliment a transport of choice. I will get to an understanding of this prior to making a purchase. Thanks!

George, Thanks for your support for my 'subjective' approach. Also the Holo Spring DACs are of interest to me as I have read reviews. Thinking the Tubador may better fit my budget. I am pretty sold on the R2R Multibit approach. Also looking to add tubes to the output stage which will drive my tube preamp.

Geoffkait, I will do my best to isolate the transport with consideration of routing internally generated vibrations and shielding from external ones.