Klipsch speaker choices

Hello,
First post here but long time 2 channel guy. 

I currently have a system with Klipsch RF3 speakers and a crossover with stereo subs.  Sound is good but I think the highs and mids are still a bit edgy.  Bought a Schiit Aegir with passive preamp and see vast improvement.  All my interconnects and speaker wire have also been upgraded. I just listened to the RF7 iii but very briefly.  Initial impression is it was more laid back but I am wondering how that speaker sounds vs the Heritage box speakers.  I will probably listen to the Heresy 4 first but wondering if there is a difference in sound between the tower and the box speakers. 

I also have read about the Tekton speakers but am hesitant since I can't listen to them.  It is all over the place opinion wise about the Tektons.  The Klipsch Heresy are within driving distance for an audition.  They will have several models to listen to if I talk myself into going further up the cost ladder.  Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. 
128x128daledeee1
(BTW, I also dampened the horns and did A/B comparison with mono source and heard no appreciable difference - just be sure the horns have there gaskets and are screwed tight to the baffle.)
Same here. Spent a whole day damping the horns of my Heresys with bitumous pads. Fired them up and they were as colored as ever. I've intended to remove the material as I actually find myself enjoying them less after that mod. 

For anyone that can afford the space necessary for Spatial's open-baffles, there is absolutely no good reason in buying a Klipsch speaker, especially at their current price points. I only keep my H-IIIs around because they can still sound good when placed close to walls and are stealthy in terms of the room decor. But if I listen to them following a session with my Spendors or Maggies, their coloration/resonance is almost too much to bear.
Post removed 
" there is absolutely no good reason in buying a Klipsch speaker "....from the guy who thought, and probably still does ( and not so long ago ), that original Advents were the best there was, regardless of cost....I take what Helo says, with a single grain of salt.....however, he is, as all are, entitled to opinions. Enjoy ! MrD.
mrdecibel, I have appreciated your input over the years while looking for ways to improve my sound system, even beyond speakers, so thought I'd add some clarity on the dampening mod.  I understand some horn and speaker combinations can yield better results for the same mod.  Long throat metal horns like the Altec 811b or RCF H3709 can benefit from dampening (and if using an 811b and the cabinet extends past the sides of the horn, be sure to use foam on the cabinet like Altec did on the Model 19). 

As mentioned, I replaced the Forte I midrange compression driver with the earlier Heresy's, and at that time I also purchased the Heresy horns, model K-701.  The driver was a construction quality and sonic improvement.  However, I was surprised that the earlier K-701 horns lacked much of the outside molded webbing for structural support compared to the late 1980s versions in the Forte I (and I assume Heresy speakers of that timeframe.)  Tapping them showed a marked difference in ringing and sustain with the webbed horns obviously being better damped. 

So I kept and applied damping material to the webbed horns. Also, as mentioned, made sure the horn gasket was in place and the horn properly tighten to the baffle, something far more important.  

For me, with this speaker, the other earlier performed mods were more noticeable improvements.  The "no appreciable difference" would have been based on that.  It may have also been because of additional work on the cabinets, like having them properly sealed, etc., had also already been done.

However, I appreciate that the damping material could play a large roll in the results.  I used 1/4" Dynamat dense foam sound deadener because I had very good results when used to quite interiors of classic cars.  All of the horn's outside surface area, including in between the webbing, was covered.  How does that compare to your method?

As far as the sound of Klipsch speakers, or any high efficiency horn loaded speaker combination like older Altecs, part of the enjoyment is the particular sound and dynamic range they give.  If that's what the original poster prefers, great, then follow that path and include tubes electronics to make the most of it.  To each their own, but remember that most albums of any type of music in the 1960s and 1970s were mixed listening through 2-way monitors with horns by Altec, and were good enough for The Beatles and Mr. Martin.  (Not trying to start a debate of point source studio monitors vs. loudspeaker).

I don't think Heresy IIIs have a particular tonal response...horns are often more "immediate" sounding because of their efficiency and that's a good thing, but my experience with these things indicates they're somewhat tonally neutral in the sense that nothing jumps out as harsh treble or mids...they're simply coherent and clear, and revealing of whatever's driving them.