Audio Kinesis Swarm Subwoofer Awarded 2019 Golden Ear Award by Robert E. Greene

Recognizing member and contributor @audiokinesis for this award!!!

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2019-golden-ear-awards-robert-e-greene/
david_ten

@millercarbon, I believe @contussi feels that since one can buy and use 4 subs without necessarily needing to buy the Audiokinesis Swarm system, why is it being viewed as so remarkable? What he’s missing is that while a more advanced hobbiest may want to do it on his or her own, there are some more casual consumers who just want to spend their $3,000 on a finished, plug & play product, without needing to do any subwoofer designing him or herself.

Sure, a person can buy 4 good subs, amplification for them (if they are passive, unnecessary if they’re self-powered), and x/o’s for them (again, if passive. Most self-powered subs contain x/o’s). Or, one can buy the Audiokinesis system, where all that has been done for you. @contussi, what proponents of "swarm"-style sub systems are suggesting is that the $3,000 Audiokinesis (or similar) plug & play system will buy one better bass sound than will the same amount spent on a pair of subs.

Thank you very much, david_ten!!

The Swarm’s first awards were four years ago, in 2015, so I have been fortunate that the concept apparently has a good shelf life. Credit to Earl Geddes, whose idea I’m using (with his permission).

"Again, what about the swarm is unique other than being sold four woofers and told to place them a certain way?"

Totally valid question. As you have figured out, the concept can be implemented in many other ways.

The basic idea is to have a lot of bass sources distributed far apart around the room. Todd Welti and Earl Geddes were the first to advocate this specific approach to the best of my knowledge; Todd investigating symmetrical placement strategies and Earl investigating asymmetrical ones. They developed their ideas at approximately the same time but were unaware of one another’s work.

I don’t think any one feature or characteristic of the Swarm is unique, but I think the combination is probably unique, at least in its general price ballpark:

- The four passive subs are optimized for lower in-room extension than you normally see from 10" subwoofers (20 Hz ballpark), in part because we know in advance that we’ll be using four of them so we don’t need to optimize for max SPL.

- The single shelf-mounted amp that drives the four subs has some nice features, including a 4th order lowpass filter, a single band of parametric EQ, and a continuously-variable 0-180 degree phase control. And since it sits on a shelf, it’s less likely to fail (better cooling and less vibration) and easier to replace if it does. A second amp can be added for some performance improvement.

- The native response curve of the individual subwoofers is the approximate inverse of "typical" room gain. The individual subs have a pluggable port, which can transform them into low Qtc sealed boxes, better suited for small rooms. In my modest-sized living room, the ports are sealed in three out of the four.

- It’s easy to reverse the polarity of one of the subs, which usually improves the in-room smoothness (and smooth bass = fast bass).

- The woofers I use have unusually powerful motors. Their combined motor strength is greater than any single home audio woofer I am aware of (including the discontinued monsters from TC Sounds, Aura, and Acoupower), and to the best of my knowledge surpassed only by the most powerful 21" prosound subwoofers. Not sure "motor strength per dollar" is a thing, but if it were, the Swarm would score pretty high.

- WAF isn’t too bad. With the port and input terminals on the bottom of the box, and the woofer on a side, those sides faces the wall and then the subs just look like four wooden blocks, each with a footprint of one foot square and height a bit less than two feet.

In other words, I didn’t just package four subs together and concoct a marketing scheme. I started with Earl’s concept and made my design choices with a specific end in mind.

That being said, there is nothing about the Swarm that a hard-core DIYer couldn’t equal or surpass. Here is the amp that I use, in case anyone wants to give it a go: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sa1000-subwoofer-amplifier-rack-mountable--300-811

Leland Crooks of Speaker Hardware offers 12" passive subwoofer kits that I designed, four of which would outperform the Swarm.

Duke
Would this work if the speakers weren't on t floor but up higher say close to the ceiling or in the ceiling facing down?
" Would this work if the speakers weren’t on t floor but up higher say close to the ceiling or in the ceiling facing down?" 

Yes. 

What would be really sweet is, three subs near the ceiling and the fourth one closer to the floor. This would usefully distribute the sources in the vertical dimension, complementing the distribution in the horizontal plane. But if that’s not feasible, four on the ceiling is just as good as four on the floor. 

Also, it is not necessary that all four subs be identical. Earl’s personal first-generation multisub system included a single massive ubersub that went considerably deeper than the other three.

Duke