Zu Omen or Tekton Lore

Best floorstanders under $999 for low power SET amp?

Thanks
mstark
No, it's a full crossover network. The woofer is not run fullrange - crossover is in the neighborhood of 3khz I think. Three caps, two resistors, two inductors. I replaced the caps and resistors with higher quality - Mills for resistors, and a mixture of Clarity SA, ESA, and Mundorf Supreme for the caps. 18 gauge silver hookup wire replaced the zipcord stock internal wiring. Bypassed the binding posts by routing the internal cabling through two small holes I drilled into the cabinets just above the binding posts, using binding posts to clamp to the speaker cables from my amp.
01-28-14: Ictwoody
Could you go into some more detail about your Lore's mods? I own Lores, but I've never opened them up... I just assumed it is a single cap before the tweeter.
- Woody
Woody, the caps in your Lores are Dayton. I believe Eric used Dayton on the earlier Lores and then switched to less expensive caps later (not that Dayton are super expensive). I've got a good pic of the XO from when I did the Dynamat mod on yours, PM me at that other site if you want me to send it to you. Assuming you're the same Ictwoody I sold mine to ;)
Genjamon,

IIRC, you corresponded with Eric about your mods. If not you, apologies, then it was someone else who also modded some speakers.

Did he end up adapting any of your work into later iterations of any of his speakers? Or put another way, is Eric amenable to doing mods, maybe even similar to what you did, on speakers one orders?

I think I would rather listen to the speakers in stock form first, but NOT being a DIY kind of guy, if I wanted to mod, my options would be to either send speakers back to him or find someone else who would.
Eric and I did correspond - a long while ago. I sat on the idea for well over a year after he and I talked before I actually ordered all the parts and went ahead. I tried calling him again when I was getting more motivated, just to double-check what I had written down a year earlier. I wasn't able to get a hold of him at that time - he had become super swamped. I think this was around the same time people started complaining about long long delays in their orders and lack of communication from him.

Anyway, when I did have his attention, he certainly offered for me to ship the speakers back to him and let him know what I wanted done. He wouldn't have charged much at all for his time - just a basic labor charge. Good customer service offer. I ultimately decided it wasn't worth the risk to ship across the country two more times, plus the added cost that I could just as well put into better crossover parts! But he was quite open to it and even offered to order the parts for me if I told him what I wanted.

I am certain you could have him make the custom upgrades part of your original order. He offers an upgraded crossover with Mundorf Silver/Oil caps, I think, but I know you could talk to him about any combination you want and he could install those for you. The only thing he might not go for is the binding post solution I made, which is a bit unconventional and I'm not sure what he would think about it.

Yes, rebuilding the crossover mainly involves soldering skills, although I had to cut some new wood boards since the old boards weren't large enough for the larger capacitors. I just used diagrammed the original crossovers before disassembling them and then replicated the same layout on new boards I cut, glued the caps/resistors/inductors into place after twisting the leads together, and then finally soldered everything together once everything was laid out right and connected properly. Then just a matter of glueing back into the cabinet after connecting the driver leads and binding post leads to the right connections on the crossover. That final soldering process can be a bit challenging, but I just set up a TV tray/short side table next to the upright Lore cabinets, which made the perfect work space for supporting the woofer driver while soldering those last connections and glueing the crossover board into the cabinet.

It's definitely a DIY project, involving some basic electronics and woodworking skills, as well as critical thinking skills and figuring out what will get the job done in your work environment. Rewarding, but not for everyone, and not without risks of screwing something up.