The Synergistic Research Orange Fuse ... Further thoughts.

Here are my observations after several weeks of burning in the new SR Orange fuses:

1. The sound has a more relaxed presentation. 

2.  Clarity - There is less grain. I thought I had this beat, but evidently not. 

3.  The soundstage has expanded further and instruments and performers are more well-placed inside the stage. The presentation is a lot more three-dimensional. 

4.  More articulation on voices. Vocals are more organically human in nature. While listening to Kevin Mahogany sing "Skylark," I hung on every note and word in the lyrics. Massed voices, like those heard on the Norman Luboff Choir's "But Beautiful" album, are more delineated. The solo instruments are more present than ever before also.

5.  There is a definite improvement in dynamics. Drum solos place the drummer right there in the room with you. Rim shots, bongos, congas and big bass drums are amazing. So are vibes. Cal Tjader and Victor Feldman ... Welcome to the party. 

6.  There has been a further improvement in tonal accuracy. String instruments have taken on a new dimension.  

7.   Among other improvements, there has been a slight amount of welcome warmth added to the mid-bass. The music, as a result, has become more emotionally involving. A little more tube-like in a very nice way.

8.  More meat on the bones overall. Massed strings are beautiful.  Bach's "Air on a G String" ... simply beautiful.  

9.  Lastley, I can set the volume control lower and get the same volume in sound as before.

Overall ... the new Orange fuse is a real winner in my system. 

Highly recommended. 

Frank

128x128oregonpapa
@oregonpapa Frank, I need to challenge the methodology of your ’comparison’ as I understand it (post your clarification).

I believe it is especially important since you have self identified yourself as a beta tester and have shared your findings across 3 threads (if memory serves me).

Please know I am not disputing your findings (yet)...they may well hold...but I am now questioning them.

Please know this is coming from someone who is far more invested in SR than I believe you are.

I’m also familiar with SR’s improvements (and track record with new introductions) as one moves from a previous generation product to a new one.

If I am incorrect in what follows, please offer your corrections.

1. Audio Memory is fickle and tricky. This holds even when the comparisons are close in time. Removing 4 fuses in 4 different components takes time. Installing 4 fuses takes time. Having the components settle after being off and out of system takes time. Break-in time for the fuses, though shorter now, does add another time element. Were your fuses stock out of the box or were they specially broken in for you?

2. To A/B a single change isn’t easy. 4 changes simultaneously is quite a feat.

3. I’m assuming you did not A/B/A and repeat (?)

4. Directionality? Was it checked? By specific component?

5. Was there a reason why you did not compare the fuses one fuse/component at a time? In other words only one new orange fuse in the system with 3 blue fuses. Times 4.

6. Was there a reason you did not take a stepped approach. One component, then two? For example, starting with the most upstream or most downstream component.

7. Was there overlap with your Stop It applications? From your posts, it appears so. If that is the case, how are you separating out contributions from one or the other and both?

Thanks.
david_ten ...

I appreciate your questioning of my methodology in testing the new fuses. You are totally correct in doing so.

1. Yes, aural memory is fickle and tricky. The fuses were stock, right out of the box. Even though they weren’t broken in, they still sounded better than the fully broken-in Blue fuses that have been used for the past two years.

I don’t think your point about aural memory is valid in this case, because I am so familiar with my system. I can clearly hear differences every tweak makes, both for the better or if it degrades the sound. If I were testing fuses on an unfamiliar system, then I think your point would be valid.

2. No a/b comparisons were made. Not necessary. See #1.

3. Same as above.

4. Directionality checked? Yes .. I had to reorient the one in the line-stage. There was an improvement in overall focus. Slight, but better.

5. I did compare the Blue fuses one component at a time. With the Orange fuses, I tried the experiment of loading them all at once, so I could hear their total impact immediately. I was pleasantly surprised. Over time, say 20 hours, they improved quite a bit. Now that some weeks have passed, you’d have to pry them out of the system. I think at this point it would be akin to pulling out a couple of my ribs. :-)

6. See #5,

7. The "Stop It" duplex plugs were completely broken in at the time the fuses were tested. Normally, the "Stop It" duplex plugs need no break-in time at all. Those are the ones presently on the market... fully cured and broken in.

The ones I received from Tim weren’t cured like the ones on the market now. Using the "Stop It" duplex plugs prior to curing, or completely drying throughout from the manufacturing process, I had lost most of the mid-bass and some the lower bass. As soon as they cured, everything came back much better than before. That’s when I reported that they were like "putting ’The Gate’ on steroids." So, by the time the Orange fuse testing began, the "Stop It" duplex plugs had no effect (plus or minus) on the fuse test.

You mentioned that you are invested in SR products. I don’t have a lot of SR products, but the ones I DO have, the improvements afforded by them were immediately apparent. I remember when I put the ten-pack of HFT’s throughout the room as directed. Wow! That wasn’t subtle at all. In fact, in spite of having a lot of expensive room treatments in use (Bass Traps and Shatki Holograms) prior to installing the HFT’s, I had a bear of a time getting my room (raised foundation) under control. The HFT’s had a profound effect and actually completed the room. There was no need for a/b comparisons with the HFT’s ... just as there was no need for a/b comparisons with the new Orange fuses.

If you have SR’s HFT’s was your experience the same as mine?

Take care ...

Frank
^^^
I remember when I swapped out the KT-120 tubes in the REF-75 for the KT-150s. No need for a/b comparisons there at all. Nor was there any need for a/b comparisons in swapping out the SR Blue fuses for the SR Orange fuses. In both cases, the improvement was immediate and very obvious.

Frank
@oregonpapa Frank, thank you so much for your response, it’s thoroughness, and for answering my questions directly, honestly, and fully. I respect and appreciate that. Thank You!

I’ll comment more in a subsequent post because I would have conducted the same or a similar ’evaluation’ differently than you did.

I do not have the HFTs nor do I have any direct exposure to them. Everyone who has implemented them in their systems (that I know personally) has also strongly suggested my using them. : )

My investment in and experience with SR has been in power conditioning, grounding, cables, and isolation.