Broken hearted...magnepan and vandersteen

I finally got an opportunity to hear the 1.7i magnepan. I will blame my ears and taste, but I was underwhelmed. I heard them with tweeters inside and outside for comparison. outside did sound a bit better. Then I allowed them to play the vandersteen quatro ct. The speakers disappeared into the music. Deep, tall, wide soundstage with excellent imaging and air around the different instruments. Full range sound. Thankfully the trio ct sounded almost the quatros equal. I really was ready to go with magnepan. I was surprised. All other speakers are sounding inferior now. 
glfrancis2
Yes, my fiance and I were on a weekend trip to Atlanta. David and all the guys at Hifi Buys were great. 
Once again, I will point out that HiFi Buys and all other dealers are wonderful, but until you hear these or ANY items in YOUR ROOM, you are simply winnowing down your prospects rather than making an informed decision.

Please remember, YOUR ROOM is the most important variable in ANY sound reproduction system.

Until you hear both there, you had a great day at a good dealer and heard some wonderful music.  Other than that, I have no idea what will sound good at your home.  Do you?

Cheers,

Richard
I'd be buying an extra pair or two of the LRS vs. spending 3x on the 1.7i which seems like frankly the absolute dog of the Magnepan line.  I own the LRS and can't imagine what 2200 bux would do for me vs. 715 to my door and not messing with the snobby local dealer.
Call Jim Salk at Salk Audio.  His Song3 Encores at $6,000 sound incredible.  Listened to them at RMAF and they were by far the best speakers under $20,000.  Jim sells direct, but uses the best speakers and his cabinet workmanship is custom and really high quality.  Tell him Larry Edwards sent you.  He is incredibly nice and knowledgeable.
@OP,
I concur with your description of the Golden Ears.
Like I said, you have good hearing. Good taste,too👍
B