Time to buy a class D amp?

Will some new class D amplifiers outperforming the current ones appear soon

(the newest ones i know were released a  few years ago)?

Class D amps attract me as I consider them the most ecological ones with obvious non-auditionable benefits.

I have no doubts that they posses the maximum ratio performance/sound quality among the amplifiers of all classes.

At the same time, the sound quality the class D amplifiers that I have auditioned produce, although is quite good,

but not yet ideal (for my taste).

I use PS Audio Stellar S300 amp with PS audio Gain Cell pre/DAC with Thiel CS 3.6 speakers in one of my systems.

The sound is ok (deep bass, clear soundstage) but not perfect (a bit bright and somehow dry, lacking warmness which might be more or less ok for rock but not for jazz music).

I wonder if there are softer sounding class D amps with the same or better details and resolution. Considering two reasonable (as to the budget) choices for test, Red Dragon S500 and Digital Audio Company's

Cherry  2 (or Maraschino monoblocks), did anybody compare these two?

128x128niodari
Clearthink's attitude towards, indifference to, or hate of, all things class D seems obvious.  :-P
Clearthink’s attitude towards, indifference to, or hate of, all things class D seems obvious. :-P

It's pretty hard not to, when you know somethings not quite right in the upper-mids and highs, and then see this kind of phase shift going on in that same area https://ibb.co/48SSmLL . It’s enough to make clearthink think?

Cheers George

George. I own a class D integrated hybrid. I know from your past posts you are not a fan of class D. You say you hear somethings not quite right in the upper-mids and highs, and phase shift going on in those areas. Could you, respectfully, enlighten me as to what you are hearing? Please explain it to me, and I will try to understand what you are referring to.

I have owned various amps over the years, mostly A/B types, and my class D amp easily outperformed all of them.

Cheers,
Tim
You say you hear somethings not quite right in the upper-mids and highs, and phase shift going on in those areas. Could you, respectfully, enlighten me as to what you are hearing?
Not just me, unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, it a common complaint.

What I hear from that technology, is dependent on where the "output filter is set" to filter out the switching noise.

1:Too high and it lets through too much switching noise but with reduced phase shift into the audio band, this to me sound hard and bright on music.

2:To low and it roll off the highs and causes too much phase shift into the audio band, but it filters out more of the switching frequency, this to me sound soft and opaque in the highs, and not involving in the mids, but at least it’s not hard.

Nuforce with their many different 9 models tried different versions V1 V2 V3 in them, of the above output filter that were retrofit-able for customer that had issues with the sound.
One of those version filters that was set way too high actually caused bluing of the Wilson Watt Puppy tweeter voice coil with HF switching noise (that only twoleftears dog can hear), didn’t stop them working just blue’d the voice coil with "undetectable to us" switching noise that was let through to them slowing cooking them over time. Naturally the diaphragms had to be replaced, he got rid of those amps.

I know from your past posts you are not a fan of class D.
BTW, Incorrect I’m not a fan of it’s two Achilles Heels, dead time and switching frequency. And I have said many times I’ll be the first to get one when they don’t have these problems and are a module I can buy an throw in a box like they do now with the old technology, but say they "modify it" so they can charge $$$$$ for, if you look at a $10k Contiuum Class-D, it has a $100  class-D module in it (modified of course), the same module is used in the $500 Red Dragon S500 class-D, this is not uncommon.

Cheers George

Actually thanks to twoleftears ’s dog, this would be a great way for Class-D owners if they have a young’ish dog to tell if their output filter is set too high or too low, as they will be one the other, or combo of both, eek!

Just watch to see if they react when in the same room when you turn on and wait for the delay to switch on your class-D amp/s.
I would say if you get no reaction you’ll have the "set too low filter" and you have a Class-D that is not hard or bright at all, but I bet it’s number 2: of the above.
If they run out of the room or react you know it’s the high filter number 1: above.

From Texas Instruments on output filters of Class-D amps that are set too high corner frequency.
"A concern with the switching waveform being dissipated in the speaker is that it may cause damage to the speaker"
This is what happened to my mates Wilson 8’s above, as Wilson does not use a Zoble Filters on this tweeter and I think all their speakers.

Cheers George