Phono cartridge suggestions sought

Hi All,

I am in the market for a new phono cartridge. I can run up to $1400 but would prefer not to if i can get the performance I want. 

I listen to predominantly Jazz on vinyl, though some rock, folk and classical also gets spun

I recently heard a Hana SL and Rega Apheta at a dealers—different decks, same room and system. Both sounded good although the Apheta was not as heavy sounding and at the same time sounded more “present”. I wasn’t really looking at the Apheta, but it was available to listen to. 

The room is accoustically live with lots of glass and hard surfaces but all sounds good. 

System: Naim Atom, Bryston TT, Parasound JC jr phono stage (so huge loading flexibility and gain up to the 60’s), Totem Acoustics Signature Ones, Transparent cables. Current cart: Denon 103r with 250 hours on it, so it is winding down. 

I have enjoyed the Denon. But wondering about that all elusive “more.”

on paper spec, nobody touches the Grados for channel separation, but not sure how essential a criterion that should be. Especially since I worked hard to tame some RFI from a nearby antenna and the Grados I have heard said are not well-shielded. 

Since my Totems only drop down to 45 Hz, I suppose absolute resolution on the low end could be sacrificed for other sonic goods. 

Ok, hive mind, what do you suggest?
dramatictenor
Oh yes, so I listened to Purcell’s the Indian Queen, Herbie Hancock’s and a mono pressing of Clarence Williams. On the Purcell, the new cart seems to have tamed some of the treble glare that was annoying me on the Denon—which remains a really musical cartridge I gotta say. I want to put it to some more high frequency tests in the coming week. 
Don’t know if this will work for you, but I adjust azimuth by finding an undamaged record which sounds noticeably better on one channel than it does on the other.

Some of the Harmonia Mundi choral selections with strings have this characteristic on my system. Also Maurice Andre’s Bach for Trumpet.

First, adjust visually so that the stylus is as nearly perpendicular to the record surface as possible. Then put on the above record and play a few bars.

Then change the azimuth slightly in one direction, clockwise or counterclockwise, it doesn’t matter. If it sounds worse (difference is more pronounced), return to the original setting and try the other direction. If it sounds better (difference is less), try more of the same. Gradually zero in on a setting in which the channels sound similar.

Take your time. You’ve got hundreds of hours to get it right. Good hunting!
I have the Shibata stylus version of the AT VM750 at $400. It's good. One poster suggested buying one and saving the $1000. I also have a $1500 London/Decca SuperGold and it wipes the floor with the AT. So you might consider actually spending the full amount.
Ok, so some new changes in my source world. I still have the Bryston TT with the Dynavector 20x2, but I recently acquired a Thorens TD124v2, and decided to go all out (for me.) I am using a SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star cartridge. Even better lateral imaging and depth than the DV, a less forward presentation, very low noise. I am sure there are other differences, but this is still too new an addition to the system (about 6 record sides), and variations in loading etc may have a role that I still haven't noticed.