Things that make you go, "Hmmmmm...."

the Muse was about $10k new years ago, I paid $650 for it on Audiogon

What CD player can I buy that will hold its value and not be near worthless in anything more than a few years?

New or used.

128x128millercarbon
The Sony SCD XA5400ES SACD/CD player has held its value and is still has very good sounding playback.

I own three and have a spare Laser assembly, with service manual for installation.

The 5400 will still hold up to most any very expensive CD player and used ones have held their original $1500 price.
I would throw my old CEC CD3100 into the ring IF I had a clue as to its original sticker.
It’s kinda irrelevant what I paid for it as a non working example.
And I have not seen another for sale so also a bit of a downer.

But used as a transport it is excellent imho.
Looks?

Dull as dishwasher I am afraid so no brownie points there.
Not a CD player but does play CD's- Any late model Oppo player seems to be in the "I missed out and need to pay too much now" to get one. Plus you can sell it on the video boards also.
“Most new music is crap. Most new cars are crap. On and on. So of course most new CD players are gonna be crap....and so most new turntables are crap too! So there!

People who make this kind of generalizations are either ‘stuck’ in time like needle in a groove or plain ignorant. 
Cary 308T, Revox B226-S, and Studer A727 still fetch pretty good money on the used market.