Things that make you go, "Hmmmmm...."

the Muse was about $10k new years ago, I paid $650 for it on Audiogon

What CD player can I buy that will hold its value and not be near worthless in anything more than a few years?

New or used.

128x128millercarbon
Clearly a lot of defensive responses and reading into instead of just, you know, reading. Still looking for an example of a CD player that for whatever reason has stood the test of time. As determined by the one thing that matters, willingness to open up the pocketbook and pay money for it.

Believe me, I know good and well there are people willing to be advertised and marketed and psyched into buying the latest new whatever. Literally: whatever. Not asking about that. Asking what, if anything, is there that people still find value in, many years later.

Just to be clear, does not have to be sound quality. Maybe it just looks cool. Or classy. So could be build quality. Or materials. Who knows, maybe a nice solid wood case. Or carbon fiber. Gold. Diamonds. Whatever. Not the point. Anything, anything whatsoever.

Because, as it stands now, you guys are making me think no CD player ever made is even as good as my 30 year old lava lamp. Which people even just last night thought was pretty cool.

This is the digital forum. No one has anything positive to say? There really is no there there?
Ah, yes, the original question. Well, my Marantz Reference SA-15S2b SACD player is getting on in years but still sounds wonderful. A used one can be considered.

Also, the newer ones, like the SA-10 have been discussed here as well.
Then there's the new Technics SL-G700 SACD/network player but I'd need to read some reviews or know where I could audition one before committing.

Also, the Hegel Mohican is a CD only player that reviewers like but it's up there with the Marantz Reference line in cost, so again, I'd audition one before deciding.

The reviews are out there as well as those here who've decided to stick it out with CDs, so a perusal of the forums can entertain you for most of the day.

All the best,
Nonoise
Any of the Wadia players from just reading about them in forums . Never owned one though .
Okay, but a quick search would seem to show those are current production. ie, new. As in, not old.

It would appear there are no CD players that after more than a few years do anything but plummet to near worthlessness. Okay. Will have to do for now, I guess.

But still, hard to believe. I mean, even an old wind up watch, the lowliest Timex from the 1960's, even that is gonna be worth more than new today. Long as its not all beat up. Or Chrysler K-car. Hard to think of a bigger piece of junk than the Chrysler K-car. Yet they sell today for more than new. I actually won an on-line debate one time saying every car ever made, will begin appreciating in value at about 15-20 years, provided only its kept in good running condition. I won when the one car everyone thought would prove me wrong was found on-line selling for more than new- a Chrylser K-car.

Still, hard to believe. I mean, a whole industry, huge market segment, millions of ardent enthusiastic owners, all for something turns out to be worthless compared even to a Chrysler K-car?

Your logic is so asinine as to be laughable. Remind me which CRT TVs have stood the test of time? Laser disk players? Any computer from the 1990s? Any number of the millions of things that people thought would be collectible and aren’t. I mean, you’re making such a ridiculous claim that I kind of think it’s simply to troll. Very little of what was once new retains its value. Especially in less than 100 years. Technology moves forward and some people don’t. My grandfather still has a flip phone. Not sure that 10 year old flip phone is going to raise in value at any point until archeologists 1000 years from now dig it up from our garbage heaps.