Do we really need anything greater than 24/96? Opinions?

It's really difficult to compare resolutions with different masterings, delivery methods, sources, etc. I have hundreds of HI-rez files (dsd, hi bit rate PCM, etc). I have to say that even 24/44 is probably revealing the best a recording has to offer. Obviously, recording formats, methods, etc all play a huge role. I'm not talking preferred sources like vinyl, sacd, etc. I'm talking about the recordings themselves. 

Plus, I really think the recording (studio-mastering) means more to sound quality than the actual output format/resolution. I've heard excellent recorded/mastered recordings sound killer on iTunes streaming and CD. 

Opinions?

aberyclark
Depends on the original recording and who is mastering.   That said I seem to chase the best sound of the music love so I guess I’m a mark for higher bits.
I agree it depends on the recording. I have heard lousy supposed hi rez and SACD and great Redbook and vice versa.
If the recording is good and your gear is also good (it took me a lot of time to get it right and I still have work to do), PCM 44.1/16 sounds incredible.

If you get redbook to play on its full potential, is good enough. 

For me, another issues play a MUCH bigger role on sound quality and music engagement. To mention a few: gear quality and synergy, AC conditioning, accoustic treatment, location of speakers and listening position, recording quality, etc.

no reason to bother above 24/96 or below 16/44.1 but....
the truth is no one really knows about any specific file you play -what's it's history?and this debate has been going on forever
most 24/96 files you will encounter weren't recorded at 24/96 but upsampled that's one of the reasons why modern audiophiles are so neurotic about bitrate some people cheat! the only way is to get all the versions compare them and find the best sounding version in your system.
i miss cd's...you would play a cd knowing it sounds good not looking for flaws only enjoying music. look at us now more than 20 years after ,still trying to figure out how to play digital music maybe ripping our own cd's is better than streaming? ...maybe not paying for music got us this punishment

Post removed