Cconfused...

Heard a poster who is looking for an amp say...

I'm ok with a colored sound. Prefer musicality and realism over "accuracy" or "neutrality"

?????????
ishkabibil
@elizabeth - You make a very good point. 
I sometimes wonder when reviewers develop a clear auditory bias if it's their hearing, or if they have been paid.

But for an audiophile who is having a cultural, not a technical, exposure to gear, who is to say what neutral really means?
I think the solution to this is to always have comparisons ready.

fwiw I made the original comment to make sure it was understood that I was ok with slightly colored sounds, such as warmth. It’s not like I was referring to some crazy difference. I find the difference between speakers far greater than the difference between amp, which is what the comment was about. 
Ishkabilil wrote: " Are not accuracy and realism much the same? "

You would think so, but here is an example of what can happen: "Accuracy" is often evaluated by some relatively convenient metric, such as total harmonic distortion, which may or may not correspond to what sounds like "realism" to the ears. And it just so happens that THD does NOT correlate well with subjective preference in controlled double-blind testing. In other words, the standard yardstick for "accuracy" in amplifiers is arguably measuring the wrong thing!

So we end up with measurements which "establish" one amplifier as being more "accurate", when another amplifier which does not measure as well by THAT yardstick may actually sound more "realistic".

Ishkabibil again: "I am the easiest person to converse with come on I am a bass player..... "

I totally get it. Most of my business is with bass players (I’m a "boo-teek" bass cab manufacturer).

For those who don’t understand what Ishkabibil is talking about, what the bass player does is, he pours his energy into making the lead singer and the lead guitarist look really, really good. I read an article in a guitar magazine that said there were 27 guitar players for every bass player. So that’s twenty-seven guys who want to be in the limelight for every bass player who is happy to make them look good in that limelight.

To put it another way, if the Three Stooges had been a band, Larry would have been the bass player; he made Moe and Curly look good.

Duke
ishkabible....of coarse you like overblown bass....you think your part is the best.   I would guess you play electric bass.  If you play classical upright and listen to Gary Karr, et al, tone is the goal and not whomp.
More to discover