Robert Hunter unfortunately has died

My youngest just gave me the news. Bummer, another talent gone
boxer12

Wait, you guys think that was a knock on some other songwriters and singers? While Bob & Jerry can’t/couldn’t sing very well (everyone agrees about that, right?), they did write some good tunes. Dead fans are SO defensive! I’ve played "Friend Of The Devil" in a band---love it. And their early psychedelic albums (2nd and 3rd) are my favorites in the genre.

I saw The Dead live for the first time in '67 (I loved their debut album), with Pig Pen singing, of course. They were then still kind of a garage band, and I mean that as a compliment. When they, like everyone else, tried to duplicate The Band's brown album (with Workingman's Dead), their limitations became glaringly obvious. Play them improvised jams fellers, leave the singing to others.

Dead fans are defensive because insults, direct or implied, just mean that they’re not seeing the whole picture and don’t get it. They were to prolific on every front for any nit-pic to stand. Depth and soul doesn’t come from having an “America Idol” voice.

bdp24, you are a rude a** for your posts in this memorial thread for the passing of Robert Hunter and are in bad taste. you’ve touted this “the singing voice is everything, therefore the Dead are inferior to the Band” BS before (at lest I’m pretty sure that was you). This is the wrong thread bro. Take your opinion elsewhere.

And this thought that they were trying to copy The Band is hogwash. Half of those song were written before the Band released that album or anyone knew what was coming. The Dead were on their own trip on Mickey’s ranch and working some of that stuff up simultaneously.

Fare Thee Well to one of the top lyricists in the world...whom to many will never be match.

The Dead will never die.