What Class D amps will drive a 2 ohm load

Just asking.

I see specs into 4 ohms but nothing into difficult speaker loads (like Thiel CS5's).

Thanks for listening, 

Dsper

dsper
George,
You said "This Stereophile’s JA’s statement, is the typical case where a 25w amp like the ML2’s with doubling capable wattage current will drive a pig of a load like these Alexia’s and the OP’s speaker "to a given level" with perfection better than any 3000w class-d can."  OK, "drive" is the issue you are concerned with, to the exclusion of the much more important question of what an amp SOUNDS like.  A more powerful engine will DRIVE a truck better than a smaller engine, but this is irrelevant to what people here care about.  My Mytek Brooklyn will have problems DRIVING a very low impedance inefficient speaker to very loud levels.  SO WHAT?  At 1 to 100 watts, it kills the ML2 for resolution.

Your Mytec below measured by Stereophile, could even get it up into 2ohms at all.

Stereophiles JA’s summation, "practical use with speakers whose impedance doesn’t drop below 3 ohms."
No good at all with the OP’s speakers we are talking about here.

245W into 8 ohms
315Wpc into 4 ohms
when I tried to measure the clipping power into 2 ohms, the Mytek went into protection mode at 310W (18.9dBW),

Stereophiles JA’s summation, "practical use with speakers whose impedance doesn’t drop below 3 ohms."
No good at all with the OP’s speakers we are talking about here.

245W into 8 ohms
315Wpc into 4 ohms
when I tried to measure the clipping power into 2 ohms, the Mytek went into protection mode at 310W (18.9dBW),

@georgehifi 
You like to put up specs; now you have to also live with what they say. And what they are saying is:
The Mytek can make about 300 watts into 2 ohms and therefore is able to double power from 75 watts into 8 ohms to 150 watts into 4 and finally 300 watts into 2 ohms. If we take @viber6 at his word, his amp plays nearly 5dB louder than yours into any load your amp can drive and sounds better at the same time. This assumes that the bass region is where the 2 ohm load occurs- where most of the musical energy lies.

But if the 2 ohm load occurs at 8 or 10KHz the story is quite different since so little power is used at that frequency. Then the Mytek would be able to play nearly **10dB louder** than your amp and sound better all the while if we take @viber6 at his word.

Quite simply an amplifier does not have to double power into 2 ohms from 4 ohms in order to behave as a voltage source. The only time this might be an issue depends on the impedance curve of the speaker and at the full power of the amp. If less than full power things are very different!

I have CS5i's and recapped the crossovers last year and made a MAJOR improvement to the driveability by going active on the subs.  As part of the recap I drew out the huge crossovers and found that the 2 subs are done as augmentation woofers to 60hz where the 8" center woofer covers sub to 400.  Basically all 3 are run in parallel at sub frequencies. There was only a single coil on the subs and it was super easy to wire them to a new binding post. I was able to single amp or biamp and the improvement is stunning. It also opened up them to using many other amps that did not need to cope with the 2 ohm bass load. I used an ICE amp on the subs and my ML 333 on the rest. SUPER dynamic now.

dht4me

ML 333

Great amp for these types of very hard loads, even if those figures below are a bit wishful, there are always losses. So exact doubling is impossible unless the 8ohm and 4ohm are understated to make the 2ohm look like it's doubling.

Nº333 Rated power output

300 w/ch continuous rms power @ 8Ω

600 w/ch continuous rms power @ 4Ω

1200 w/ch continuous rms power @ 2Ω

Cheers George