Paradigm Studio 60 V5 Fingernails on Chalkboard

The highs have an edge that hurts my ears, especially female voices (e.g. old joni mitchell, Emmy Lou Harris, etc. I have a Denon AVR 1709 80 W/Ch home theater amp. Could the amp be the problem? It's not room placement - I've moved them all over the room, and it's not interference - it happens even when I only have one speaker plugged in. If it is the amp, what should I replace it with? I spent all my $ on the speakers, assuming the amp I have would work out. I have the speakers for sale on Audoigon but would like to keep them if I can find an affordable solution. Thanks!
bobagov
Thank you for all of your generous responses. After learning so much from all of you, and doing a lot of research on the net, I've decided to head back to the drawing board and try and find an old pair of AR91 in good condition, which I mentioned above that I owned in another lifetime and liked so much. As I've learned on the web, and most of you probably know, a good silk dome, while it loses some detail and accuracy, is much more forgiving of poor electronics and poor source material than the much more precise metal domes found in the Studio 60. So, with luck, I should be able to find in these lovable antiques an affordable solution which will be quite okay with my present equipment and source material, and will move the Studio 60's to the auction section here at audiogon and let the financial cards fall where they may.

I also couldn't help but look at conflicting views on woofer designs on the web a little bit. I probably shouldn't touch on such a religious subject as to whether vented bass designs are better than acoustic suspension designs. But I did notice that most of the internet discussions on this topic compare speakers of the exact same size in acoustic vs vented cabinets to conclude that acoustic suspension designs are inherently less efficient. The AR91 had a 12 inch woofer in an acoustic suspension, not necessarily less efficient than the Studio 60 two 5 1/2 inch woofers in a vented design, just more expensive to manufacture! You can see where I'm headed. But, even then, I do have to admit the bass sounds pretty good in the Studio 60, even with my low grade amp.

Once again, thanks again to you all for the advice and info, you helped me set me on an affordable audio path.

Regards,

Bob
I had the same problem with my Studio 60v.5. I was driving them with the Onkyo A-9555 integrated amp (85W @ 8 Ohm) which is a class D amp. The sound was very detailed, lean, and the highs were absolutely painful at times. I don't have any room treatment, but my living room has plenty of soft surfaces to at least partially tame the highs. I decided to try out the Exposure 2010S2 integrated amp, and what an amazing difference it made. All the harshness disappeared, the sound was fuller, instruments and voices had more body and the highs were detailed but not harsh at all. The main culprit was the Onkyo amp, which didn't agree with the speakers at all, although I'm sure that my untreated room contributed to make the highs harsh as well. The Exposure amp and the Studio 60 v5, seem to have a nice synergy and this works very well in my room. I'm absolutely enjoying my system now.
Don't give up on the Paradigms just yet. I suggest you try out the Paradigms with a different amp, and they might just surprise you.
Hi Knik,

Thank you for your one last appeal - it has changed my plan a little bit:

By trying the speakers in different rooms, I've convinced myself that the problem truly does not depend on room and is therefore probably due to some other factor. And, from your comments, as well as those of Kotta, Kbarkamian, Wizard454, Wilsnet, Sprink, and Sthomas12321 the amp is the most likely culprit.

So, having already located some inexpensive AR91s on the net and ordered them, I'll first try those old geezers to see if they'll work for me. If they don't, I'll beg or borrow enough $$ to try in my home, and then purchase, either the Exposure2010S that you recommended, a vintage Sansui that Kotta recommended, the Peachtree Decco 2 that Wilsnet recommended, or the B&K that Sprink and Sthomas12321 recommended as appropriate for the Studio 60s. I feel confident that this approach will work.

Meanwhile, instead of immediately selling off the Studio 60s, I'll pull them off the classifieds for the time being, so I'll have them to try if the AR91s don't work out. And, if the AR91s do turn out to work for me, I can just sell the Studio 60s later at a loss.

I do love experiments and, so far, I'm actually enjoying this audio adventure and learning from all of you. What a great forum! I'll report back here later to let you know how this all plays out.

~Bobagov
My experience is with the V2 Active series. For that era of Paradigm's, it was often recommended not to orient the tweeters directly at listener ear position but up to maybe 30 degrees outside from listener position--small speaker adjustments at a time worked for me. For me it was also best to leave the grill screens on. The Actives have adjustments for High and Low Frequency Contour. In general, I have these zero'd on the High Frequency with slight bump for Low. They are still with me and now in use as surrounds. I may put them back in use as mains and surrounds in a bedroom system--very good speaks. Patience and good luck.

Will