Radikal Linn LP12 or Palmer 2.5?

The motor of my 25 year old LP12 just conked out and I was planning to use this as an opportunity to get it keeled and radikalized, until I recently went to an audio show and heard a Palmer 2.5 with an Origami arm that sounded fabulous.  I’ve never heard a fully upgraded LP12, but I’ve been living with my Cirkus/Ekos/Linto/Lingo version for some time.  After hearing the Palmer, I thought it might be time for a new direction, but I understand the Linn upgrades to be quite dramatic. I probably won’t be able to do a A/B comparison, so if anyone out there has has a chance to directly compare the two, I would love to hear your thoughts.  This is going to be a big expenditure for me either way and it will likely be my last turntable, so thanks in advance for any insights you may be willing to share.
latenitecity
Hi all.  It’s been a while so I thought I would check in and share my decision. Unfortunately, I was unable give the Palmer a second listen; however I was able to make what I feel was a meaningful comparison between a full spec Linn LP12 and the Dr. Feickert Blackbird (bearing in mind that the associated components were completely different).

Both tables sounded great, and I knew that I could live happily ever after with either, but ultimately I decided to go with the Blackbird (with the optional external power supply). Both “played the tune,” both were rhythmically assured, and both had rock solid imaging. I thought the Linn sounded a bit richer and the Blackbird played music with a bit more verve. That said, I think my decision came down to three things.  

First, I thought the Blackbird had a slightly higher “fun factor,” though I’m hard pressed to qualify why this is so.

Second, the Linn had an Ekos SE arm (vs. the considerably less expensive Jelco TK 950L) and a Kandid cartridge (vs. a considerably less expensive Ortofon). So while I realize upgrades - even somewhat expensive ones - sometimes bring only incremental changes at this level, I felt there was more down-the-road room for improvement with the Blackbird (e.g., perhaps an eventual upgrade to a Kuzma 4point or an SME arm).

Finally, I think I was just ready for a change of direction. I was a perfectly content Linn LP12 owner for 25 years, and would have had no problem whatsoever continuing along that path. But when the old fruit box finally gave out it seemed like a good opportunity to think outside “the box” and try a different flavor. I haven’t been disappointed.

So that’s about it.  Again, thanks to everyone for their input. It was all interesting and useful.
@latenitecity Glad that you made a choice that sounds and works well in your system. I totally understand where you are coming from in your selection. The Blackbird is a very nice TT. I think that there was no wrong answer here. Blackbird, LP12 or even the Palmer are all great TT’s.

Thanks, daveyf.  I appreciate it.  It was a fun process and, as you said, there really was no wrong answer. I feel very fortunate that I had the opportunity to audition these wonderful contraptions, and would be delighted to own any one of them.