Poor sound from rental Blu-Ray discs

Hi all, I'm back to the 'Gon after an absence. I just bought a Samsung 55" LED LCD 3D TV and Samsung Blu-Ray 3D disc player. My pre-pro is a Sherwood Newcastle P-965 without HDMI. The Blu-Ray player only has HDMI out and coaxial digital audio out (no analog out) so I am using the coaxial audio out into the pre-pro.

Here's the problem. When I play a standard rental DVD from Netflix, the audio sounds fine, multi-channel surround like I am used to. When I play a purchased Blu-Ray 3D disc, the audio is also fine. When I play a rental Blu-Ray disc from Netflix, the audio sounds horrible -- like monaural, or possibly center channel only, going through 7 speakers. There is no background music or ambiance or sound effects -- the movie sounds eerily quiet except for dialog.

I went into the Samsung Blu-Ray player's audio menu and tried all the settings: outputting as PCM vs. bitstream unprocessed vs. bitstream re-processed into Dolby or DTS; multi-channel compatible vs. downmixed into stereo; and downsampling on (48 kHz) or off (96 kHz). The best results were bitstream unprocessed, multi-channel compatible, downsampling off, with the pre-pro set to "Auto" decoding. This works fine for standard DVD or purchased Blu-Ray, but as mentioned, rental Blu-Ray discs sound horrible, like they are monaural.

The Samsung dealer says that rental Blu-Ray discs from Netflix do not offer lossless audio, even through HDMI. Can anyone confirm this? Is that why the audio sounds so poor on rental Blu-Ray rental discs?

One final complicating factor is that my pre-pro has been having faults recently, so it is probably time to get a new HDMI 1.4 pre-pro anyway. But I would still like to know why the Blu-Ray rental discs sound so bad when the standard DVDs and purchased Blu-Rays discs sound fine.
javachip
This has been a topic that has come up on Scott Wilkinson's podcast, Jome Theater Geeks. I believe that you are correct that some rental disks do not have the lossless audio. Personally I have not come across it with any of my rental disks. Listen to episode 141 and I believe that they talk about it.
Since your Samsung BR player does not have analog outputs, if you want to get lossless DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD, you will have to get a receiver or pre-pro that decodes DTS-HD and Dolby True HD, and connect to your BR player via HDMI. You cannot get lossless Blu-ray audio via coaxial.

My setup is connected in this way, and I have rented hundreds of BR movies from Netflix, and I get the lossless audio on all of them, no problem.
I see that I may have been a bit ambiguous there. I meant to say my connection is via HDMI.
Looks like Lionsgate has removed all lossless audio from rental disks. There are several threads all over the place on the topic. Not sure if other studios have followed the same practice. I rented Hunger Games off an Apple TV so that's why I didn't notice it there.
No, not all Lionsgate films. I just watched Arbitrage(Lions Gate) from Netflix and it did have DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1