Single driver point source speakers vs. the world?

Okay, I've been a 'stat guy the majority of my audio life.

Recently I acquired a humble speaker that has me rethinking my entire approach to audio, i.e., big power amp requirements driving mass amounts of current to 'stats.

The speaker I'm referring to is the Cain & Cain Abby. 8 watts of 300b SET amplification into these speakers is as good as I've heard. No, they don't do bass but they excel at everything else. So the ? for those with point source design experience is does the lack of a crossover in designs equate to these types of results in other point source or single driver designs?
128x128coltrane1
Mapman, I've heard some older Tannoys, and didn't care for them. If I get the chance, I'll give them another listen.
I'm not saying I will rule single driver speakers out forever; just waiting for one that will knock my socks off. Just haven't heard it yet. I've almost purchased a pair of Hornshoppe Horns a few times but for whatever reason the deal didn't work out. None were local so never got to hear them but they look nice for the price. I'm hoping I can listen to a few different designs at this years RMAF.
Anyone know what the Cain 'donut' does? And why most back loaded cabinets come out the front?
Our backloaded cabinets port to the rear, and it works well. I'm not opposed to using a little corner loading to bring out the lows.
My only experience with single-driver speakers was quite enjoyable. It came at last year's Axpona show, where all day long, I had been assaulted by hyper-detailed, skreechie speakers. When I wandered into the Glow Audio room, I was quite pleasantly surprised by their little spherical single-driver speakers, sitting atop Glow subwoofers and powered by a little Glow tube amp.

What a relief from the other systems at the show! Here were beautiful, natural tone colors, with natural, non-hyped detail. I think the total cost was something like $1,800!

http://www.glow-audio.com/home.html

-Bob (no affiliation)