Are there really any high end pre/processors at a

I am playing with HT and have been into 2 channel for many years. I finally find a 5 channel amp that I can stand listening to but I am back to what has stopped me from setting up 5 channel; the crappy sounding processors.

I have tried several older processor (Lexicon MC12, Cary Cinema 11, Parasound P2 ECT) via analogue out to my Cambridge 751 and although interesting certainly not close to a really good preamp. I did try a newer Onkyo and I will leave the model number out because it was the worst sounding but I did get to try direct HDMI connection with that unit.

To clarify I do use very high end signal cables when going analogue so it is not the cabling. My HDMI cables are also very high end so again not the problem. I am using about $40K worth of very good speakers so let's eliminate them. For me it comes back to the processor. I really do not want to spend huge money on a processor because next week it will be worth nothing with technology so one thought was the Marantz 7005 but I am real open to any suggestions.
liveaudio
Fplanner2000 - Can you please be more specific about how you have your system wired up? Thanks!
Yes there is a high-end pre/pro still out there that is the only truly fully balanced end-to-end topology from input to output on all channels. It has just been discontinued after 6 years in production and is still ranks "king" level on most reviewer lists which is the Denon AVP-A1HDCI. I mistakenly had mine listed here not too long ago but have sobered up and will never sell it. Denon has supported this flagship for years with every possible upgrade support (most free). The latest upgrade (not free) included Audyssey XT 32 and a new board with 3 new Sharc DSPs. I use mine for 9.3 HT and for analog 2-ch. My entire rig totals north of $100k and my speakers are Revel Ultima Salons, Ultima Voice and 2 sets of Revel Ultimate Embrace surrounds ($45k alone). My 2-ch setup is a PS Audio Perfectwave Dac MK II cabled into the AVP's balanced inputs and routed out to my amp with MIT Magnum M2 XLR sets on both sides of the processor.

If you are looking for the proper component to set off your rig for multi and 2 ch do not overlook this statement HT pre/pro. Nothing, (repeat) nothing does both duties in a single box better. Hurry up before last upgrade window closes.
I agree with Fplanner; there's no reason to sacrifice your 2-channel sound if you want to add the fun of home theater. I really enjoy Dolby digital and DTS surround not only on movies, but on regular tv as well. It even makes commercials more bearable.

After a lot of investigation and thinking, I determined the easiest method for me was to get 2 preamps: one for 2- channel listening with ht pass-thru for ease of setup and the other a prepro used mainly for surround processing and for connecting the center and rear channel amps. I utilize my subwoofer for both systems and run the video straight to the tv via HDMI. But you can also get prepros that process/improve the video if you'd like.

By adding a tubed preamp with pass thru to my formerly all ss system, I was able to improve my 2- channel system dramatically while adding the surround sound. I realize, of course, there are alternate methods of incorporating 2-channel with home theater. I posted this just in case it would work for others contemplating adding ht.

BTW, now is a good time to buy used prepros, especially if you don't require HDMI connections or more than 5.1 surround. Formerly high-end prepros that sold new at $3,000plus are now going for a song.
I have been there done that. I have own several proccesor preamps from Intergra research lab, procceed, classe, sunfire, marantz... none of them come close to the performance of my dedicated 2 channel preamps. After successfully intergrate my BAT preamp into my ht. I am, now, a happy camper.