Advice on SUT for Koetsu Rosewood - EAR MC-4, Slagle/EMIA, other

I recently tried a friend's Sound Traditions Hashimoto hm7 transformer-based sut and overall the sound was substantially more Dynamic and alive and generally better than my current Berning preamp MC section. The problem was the images were just so large and the presentation a little too forward for my tastes. I am thinking a different Sut such as the EAR MC- 4 or an Intact Audio (Slagle) Step Up Transformer, copper.

Has anyone used these Sut's and could advise about whether they might do what I'm looking for? I'm hoping to add more dynamics and life but I do prefer a slightly laid-back presentation to a forward one and I don't want giant instruments in the soundstage. I listen to mostly old Jazz and Blues with some rock and classical mixed in. I am not looking for the last word in in treble detail or "air" and my biggest sonic priorities are organic , rich mids, good sounstaging, and a realistic tonal balance that does not accentuate the top end as so many components seem to do (IMHO). So I guess I am looking for a sut with a reputation for musicality and richness, without javing a forward sound. But I would love somethng as amazing sounding as the Hashimoto HM-7 based SUT.

My system is a Koetsu Rosewood Signature (.4mv), Jelco 850M on a Sota Star Sapphire, Berning all-tube bespoke capacitance coupled preamp (46 dB gain on the MM stage, Jensen transformers on the moving coil stage), Quicksilver v4 monos, Verity Audio Pafisals.

Thanks for any thoughts.

montaldo
I have loading plugs and settled on exactly 100hz after listening, coincidentally. So 64 dB is enough, eh? Hmm. Could it simply be that the Jensens are not nearly as dynamic as the hashimoto hm-7 suts? The difference was not subtle. Also, my previous preamp, a Thor TA-1000, was more dynamic with my previous phono stage, a Joule OPS-1 with the same Jupiter copper/wax caps that are in my Bernng pre. But I liked the smooth top end of the Berning and it posed less of a bass problem in my room.
David Berning responded to my email and corrected one small thing ... that the Jensen sut windings in my preamp are 8 to 1 ratio. But he also seemed to think there should be no mismatch between the koetsu Rosewood and these Transformers.
So I'm not sure why I heard such drastic Dynamic differences between the Jensens and the Hashimoto hm7 Transformers.I feel like I still need to try something  so at this point I am considering trying a used EAR mc4 or MC3 because they have choices of multiple windings to try in the same unit. I used to own at ear 834p and I do like the house sound.  if anyone knows where I might find one please let me know. There is also an Intact Audio (Dave Slagle) copper sut for sale now, but I dont know anythng  about those other than the good reputation. If anyone has comments about that unit please let me know. It is a 1:20 winding  and Dave Slagle told me that while is not a perfect match for the koetsu, it would probably do fine.
Can you build any electronics yourself?  A SUT is probably the easiest thing to do.  Then you could try alot of different sut's on the cheap.  Lundal and cinemags also have multiple windings for various ratios.  They all sound different so you can play to voice it to your system.

Dave's intact unit is probably great with the midrange.  He built  stack 57 quads with custom amps.  Need I say more about Jazz/blues  reproduction.

The numbers do not tell alot of the story when it comes to real music.  You have to experiment.  From your original post you showed you are not looking for HI FI, just real music.  

Enjoy the ride
Tom
I have a few Koetsu Platinums, and I know for sure I prefer them with higher ratios/gains to bring out the dynamics - 30x SUT or an active stage with 69dB or more seems to be ideal. I know this is higher than the usual recommendations. I wouldn't even bother trying an 8x SUT.

I’m actually currently using the HM-7 with my Blue Lace and love it, but I kind of get what you say about its "larger than life" presentation. I prefer it slightly to my EAR MC-3 (I use it on the 30x / 4 ohm tap), but I really like that SUT too. You might end up preferring the EAR, but it’s not much more laid back in the treble if you’re looking for that. The Koetsu SUT might be more your style as it’s more laid back overall, but they’re hard to find, and currently I do prefer the more dynamic presentation of the HM-7 and EAR.
If you can find a used pair of Bent Audio SUT's try them out.They come 1:10 or 1:20 winding.  Good Luck, TISH