Salk Audio Sound

Looking ( still ) for new speakers to replace old Spendors ( with a Leben tube amplifier).  Had narrowed my search to Devore Super 9, Proac D30R, Sonist Concerto 4 when the itch to save some money cropped up ( two tuitions due this week).  Have been hearing about Salk.  Some have denigrated as "hifi"- ish; whatever that means.  Seems like a great value and certainly has his following. Unfortunately, can't find them to hear for myself. So are the Salk speakers on par with the other possibilities above?

mpomerantz
There was at least 1 room with Salk speakers playing at axpona this year and they are beautiful. The little hotel rooms keep me from putting much stock in what I hear there, but I would agree they’re on the musical side of neutral other than clinical 

Salk builds into some of his loudspeakers a Rythmik servo-feedback subwoofer, which automatically raises tremendously the speaker's capabilities. Very few even "full-range" speakers are truly capable of reproducing at lifesize SPL the 20-40Hz octave. Incorporating a Rythmik sub into his speaker not only makes that possible, but taking the bass out of the Salk woofer also improves that driver's performance.

Jim Salk also builds incredible subwoofer enclosures into which he installs a Rythmik 12" or 15" sub. His sub enclosure is the best designed and constructed I've ever seen! He uses "honeycomb"-style bracing, which you can see on the Salk website. He also increases the enclosure's internal volume from Rythmik's own 3cu.ft. to 4cu.ft., for increased efficiency and output capability.

@thecarpathian545

Veracity HT2-TLs and HT2C.
I had a pair of Salk/Rythmik F12 but they weren’t enough for me so I sold those and upgraded to G25HPs.

I've had a pair of Salk Veracity monitors (now called the Veracity HT-1, I believe) in my den system for years.  They've given me hours of enjoyment, and I would categorize their sound as rather neutral, which is ideal for the varied type of listening I do.  Mine are in cinnamon burl, which Jim swore he would never work with again, due to the difficulty in working with the veneer.
Hi mpomerantz
Ol' dawg here with small cube of a room.  I've had sealed Salk Veracitys for several years now.  They were build "sealed" per request of my friend using a different mid/woofer to gain a tad more detail, my preference.  When they came to me, I went to work "taming" the somewhat "dry-hi-fi sound" by using Marigo resonance products (see details on my other posts.)  I addressed the cabinet inside and out, the drivers..spider, cone and tweeter frame.  I also hardwired the mid/woofer from crossover and cold-pressed the contacts on the RAAL tweeter.  The results have been glorious.  The monitors sit on IsoAcoustics ISO-L8Rs atop Paradigm Ultracube 10 v.2 subwoofers, fast and tuneful.  The result of all of this is a system that pretty much can do it all with any genre, a must for me, big or small.  The Salks have the dynamic ability beyond small Harbeths to slam rock or full roar Mahler.  But in those personal late night moments when the Sweetspot Siren flashes some thigh, the intimate stuff is brilliant with the RAALs working their magic. 
I have friends with great large systems, including Tannoys and modern big horn JBLs, but I'm always happy to come home.  Also, the Salks have been rock solid with zero problems.  I have had a few conversations with Jim Salk with questions and he is responsive and understanding, a gentleman who holds a great reputation within the industry.  More Peace, Pinthrift