CD"S

I need a new CD player what is the general opinion on future of compact disc looking at 3000$ Yamaha or is the wiser choice going to hard drive I know this question is a little hard to answer. 
801d
@ sd40
"One thing to note, however, is that the condition of used CD's for sale can only go downhill over time. Eventually the supply of good-quality used CD's will play out."

I have copied used CDs from various sources, some looking unbelievably damaged.  Yet the vast majority copy beautifully for later replay. I am amazed at how resilient the CD format really is.  Yet if put into a CD player, error correction during listeneing might adversely affect the SQ.  That's one of the advantages of ripping.  

Great thread.   I am someone who also enjoys using the compact disc as my main music source.  I enjoy putting going to my collection and picking out something that fits the mood.   Big_Greg above recommended the Marantz black pearl and i highly concur. what a great all in one player.  I now use the DMP player  and DSD DAC from PS Audio and they are fantastic.  Love live the compact disc
I’ve paired my CD’s down to about 1400, and am very interested in this thread. 
I currently have an Oppo 93 and a Shitt Bifrost multi DAC but hope to upgrade my player/Transport.

I’ll be lurking. 😁

JD
$3000.00 for a CD Player!  $300.00 maybe. Start thinking along the lines of the Elcaset, the Open Reel, the Cassette Tape, Beta Tape, 8-Track Tape, 78-RPM, 33 1/3, RPM, and all the other formats that have become obsolete. Please don't get upset turntable lovers. Tubes and spinning platters are a wonderful pastime for the hobbyist. Constantly cleaning records and replacing tubes can provide hours of enjoyment.  But if we are boldly going forward towards the momentary suspension of disbelief, let us embrace the future and free ourselves from the world of petroleum platters, shredding tapes, and other museum worthy artifacts.   
bany, I'm saving the world by purchasing as many used "petroleum platters" as I find worthy, to save them (at least temporarily) from the dreaded landfill. You're welcome.