Mono Reissues and the Conical Stylus

Hi Folks,

Recently I started buying mono reissues from Speakers Corner, Impex, and have recently ordered a few from Analogphonic. They're all of the 'long haired' variety. In the process, I've come to discovery threads where posters claim that the newer mono reissue grooves are cut in a V (stereo) shape rather than the vintage U (mono) shape.
My AT 33 mono cartridge comes with a conical stylus and from what I can tell, so do the better mono cartridges, i.e. the Miyajima Zero Mono. This of course would then create an issue where it pertains to using a conical stylus in a V shaped groove.

Around November, I plan to purchase a Jelco tonearm for my modified Thorens TD 160 and after that, will be looking to upgrade to a higher end mono cartridge. However, I don't see that they're would be a viable solution to the stylus dilemma given that I will only have one tonearm. I do by the way own a collection of early mono records but would like to find a cartridge that better crosses over between my vintage pressings and my reissues. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
goofyfoot
 One reason for the use of exotic shaped styluses in modern mono cartridges is practicality. Most modern mono cartridges are actually stereo cartridges that are bridged internally to create a mono output in two channels. So, it is very easy for any manufacturer to create a new mono cartridge by that method. Miyajima is one of only a very few that builds mono cartridges from scratch; their mono cartridges do not react to vertical deflection of the cantilever at all. Lyra achieves the same goal by re-orienting the coils such that the output is mono. After much digging I was able to ascertain that Ortofon mono cartridges are created by internal bridging of a stereo cartridge. Their website is misleading on that subject. However in my opinion there’s nothing wrong with that approach. If you have a mono mode switch on your preamp, that works too.
+1 on lewm's comment: if you want to play 'everything' you'll need a few different mono carts. (Archivists often have considerably more)

That said 'modern' monos will sound better with a modern stylii profile for many of the same reasons stereo records do.
Since you are adding an arm with removeable headshell plan on getting two carts.

(As an aside if you want to mess with SPU carts or other heavy-low compliance carts take a look at the Audiocreative Groovemaster II as well as the jelco you have in mind)
Or you could buy one mono cartridge specifically for vintage (up to very early 50s or late 40s, I am guessing) original mono LPs with a 1.0mil conical stylus (if you have a large number of such records), and use a mono mode switch with a stereo cartridge for the rest. I have none of those early mono LPs, and I bought a Shelter 501 mk2 mono cartridge to play the mono LPs that I do own, last year. However, I am so satisfied with just using the mono mode switch that I have yet to mount the Shelter.
Using a mono switch is nill. Neither my phono amp or amp offers a mono switch.

Lewm, I am somewhat surprised to hear you say that the Ortofon Cadenza mono cartridge is a strapped stereo cartridge as Ortofon claims otherwise. What is your source that states otherwise?

Solypsa, the Groovemaster is out of my reach. However, someday in the future it might be possible. The Groovemaster reminds me of the Thomas Schick and it appears that both tonearms have a type of cartridge and playback in mind where it concerns their design. Which brings up another point; being that a particular mono cartridge and tonearm combination could be a perfect match depending on whether the cartridge is meant for vintage or contemporary pressings.

I'm beginning to think that the only true way of determining what stylus/cartridge type would be best would be to compare between them. However that is just plain impossible for me to do. What might be best for this post would be to hear from someone who actually owns and plays a variety of mono cartridges.
What you can buy is an MM (true MONO) cartridge like Grace and a bunch of different styli for different records. Practically this is much better solution than many different mono MC cartridges. Grace made some great true mono MM cartridges and styli.

Another manufacturer who made so many different MONO styli for any situation is Stanton/Pickering