R.I.P: Rest In Peace Roy Johnson, Green Mountain Audio's Genius

All,

It is with heavy heart that I bring to you the heart breaking news of the passing of one of audio's true geniuses. Roy Johnson passed away this week after a long battle with cancer. He was a truly brilliant speaker designer, and true friend, and an amazing person. For those of us lucky to have known him as customers or friends we know he was infinitely committed to lending a hand, imparting his wisdom, solving problems and creating some of the most amazing loud speakers ever heard.  There were often gremlins in my system not centered around his loudspeakers and Roy would literally drop everything and help me trace down problems, while all the time educating and teaching me, not for gain, not for money, but because that's who Roy Johnson was. 

He will be greatly missed for his humor, his dedication, and his selflessness in audio and in life.

Rest in Peace Dear Friend,

You Are Loved
128x128birdfan
Really sorry to hear about this.
I've heard Continuum 3's many times at a friend's house, great talent, great human.

R.I.P.
Man, this was a bummer. I met Roy earlier this year after asking Jeff Rowland some of the speakers he liked. Jeff knew him pretty well I guess. So we had just met and also had some hour plus long conversations over the phone about how stuff worked and things he had figured out to overcome this or that .. he showed me drawings that I'll post here of possible of his newest speaker that was a floorstander I was completely amazed by. Ive never seen a design aesthetic look like it before. It combined Art Deco with 2001 a Space Odyssey. Almost a humanoid shape looking up at you. I gave him a verbal order on the spot. I said every time I go to listen, my little buddies will be there to greet me..
It was clear to see and feel his passion. Also being an audio passionate myself , I could get caught up in his enthusiasm and somehow wanted to help him get his company rocking and rolling. I knew he was short handed and had been struggling with O2 levels though he also told me he was on the mend. I wondered how he could deal with the altitude, but I dont even know what it is in Colorado Springs.. He absolutely left a memory with me. If anyone is close with his Mother, close enough to go by his shop, I believe he had the molds for the new speaker made, someone ought to build them to celebrate his life. I spoke with him man, must have been days before he passed. I also noticed he did not return my text which was uncommon. Then I got a call from Jeff to let me know he had transitioned. Well hes a lot more unencumbered now. 
I'm really glad I got to catch a little of his energy before he took off. 

Blessings to the energy we called Roy Johnson     
Sad to hear the news ...

Posting on here to represent the far flung customer base to whom Roy had managed to reach out to with his fantastic speakers.  I still have and enjoy my Eos HX speakers which have been a constant in my setup for the past few years.   

Roy will be missed.  May his soul rest in peace!

Sincerely,

Nikhil Nayak
Hyderabad, India

Very sorry and saddened to hear the news - thanks birdfan for letting us know
I knew he had been ailing for some time but did not realize it had gotten worse, though I haven’t spoken with him in sometime. I believe his birthday would have been on July 27
I was fortunate to have had many long, informative and fun long distance conversations with him over years even before I bought a pair of Callistos (which I still use). He was particularly good at phone based customer service being able to guide you long distance - often wondered how he made the time. I recall he had even set up a demo for me with one of his customers in suburban London since he didn’t have a dealer in the area at that time. I obviously didn’t know this person but Roy was the common factor and that was sufficient for this person to throw open his house and his system for me to evaluate the Callistos before I decided to buy a pair! Since then, I have returned the favor by allowing my speakers to be used as demo for other aspirants in my neck of the woods - I believe it was just something we did for Roy - power of the Green Mountain family.
I know he had some interesting designs in the pipeline but not sure if those made it to commercial production - maybe his failing health didn’t allow him to complete those.
RIP Roy - You will be missed
I feel awful about this mostly unexpected news.  I spoke with Roy multiple times with the last time likely a week or two prior to his passing.  I know that myself and several other individuals had prepaid for some upcoming designs that were to include the ribbon tweeter.  It is strange to think that one of Roy's last activities may have been final tweaking of his design on my speakers.  They were scheduled to ship July 24.   My limited interactions with Roy left an indelible impression.  Truly a vibrant genius with a passion to help others understand his designs.  Roy's enthusiasm for his new Eos RX design was so contagious.  Not sure what to do now.  Hopefully someone associated with GMA will be sorting out what to do with completed or in process work.  I was so looking forward to hearing them.  Rest in Peace Roy.