Pass amp paired with audio research pre?

Wondering if anyone has had experience matching a pass labs amp with an audio research preamp. Do they make a good combination?  Thinking  about audio research reference 5SE matched to one of the X series pass amps. I have Harbeth 401.2 speakers...kind regards 
128x128fanotunes
@bdp24 

ARC owners can sometimes resemble owners of Linn ;-) .

In regards to your statement above, that is not true at all. Not sure what you meant by that. 
I have owned Linn products in the past and currently own ARC Reference series gears.

I anticipated that observation might ruffle a few feathers ;-) . Further evidence ;-) ;-) .
For my part, I’ve owned a VT 100 mk II, a SP 10, a LS 16, a phono 5, ...  i like my ARC stuff but must admit I find, and general consensus is, they definitely have a somewhat ‘buttoned down’ house sound. Like they’re afraid of being accused of sounding tubey or something.

For me, I like it because it puts the music on display rather than showing off artifacts introduced by the component manufacturer.  At the same time, it certainly shows off changes in components up and down the line. 

Sometimes I wish I had more snap and thump.  Sometimes I wish they were a bit more forward. But for what I listen to, I think they do a pretty good job. 

That does not keep me from getting that ‘itch’ to try something new every now and again.

I’d love to have the chance to own, or even have some extended listening time with, a reference 10,…but right now,  I think I’ll concentrate more on paying off the house ...
I dumped my vinyl pursuit a couple years ago, so I have 0 skin in the game, when commenting on phono pre’s, but Harbeth + Pass I will say is quite epic.  I too was reviewing ARC pre’s, and ultimately settled on a XP-20.  I did not A/B them, so I’m of little use on that commentary, as well.  I will say that the pass chain, to a set of Super HL5 pluses is quite rewarding.  The best way I’m able to put it, Instruments sound exactly like instruments.