What were some of your early Hi-End audio gear/influences?

I am now in my late '60s and became interested in "real" audio gear in 1968.  KLH compact stereo, Dynaco, Garrard/BSR and more.  

I have owned most of the brands that you would associate with hi-end audio.  That said, I don't think any other product had as much influence on setting me down the road to the "real" music sound quality than the original Large Advent.  Thank you Mr. Kloss. 

whatjd
The first system I cobbled together was a little Pioneer reciever,Polk SDA  speakers,and a Technics table.I thought it sounded great until a friend brought over a 100 watt integrated(brand?).Those SDAs woke up and really sang.
In college, a friend's AR-5's and AR turntable, driven by a Tiger .01 amp, which was a kit (can't recall the pre-amp).  The quiet background, clean sound and bass extension got me hooked on good gear.  My subscription to TAS started with Issue No. 6.

43 years ago I bought my 1st system: Dahlquist DQ-10a's, Harmon Kardon TT with Rabco straight-tracking arm, Soundcraftsman pre-amp and Dynaco ST-400 amp.  Heaven.
Perhaps it was my age at the time, my friends and family that I shared with, or something else,...but the DQ-10 Dahlquist speakers were playing during what are now some of my best times with my closest friends. 

The DQ-10's were unbelievable at imaging for the time.  Soundstage width and depth, coherent image, lovely timbre, sufficient bass.