What Sonically is the Difference between a $1,500 CD Player and a $10K-$25K One?

I realize opinions may vary, but if I could give an example of two CD players perhaps someone can give me their thoughts on the cost benefits of either one? What would be the difference in your opinion between say a Cambridge Audio Azur 851C CD Player and the Gryphon Scorpio S CD Player? And are the difference truly audible or more technical and rather indiscernible through human hearing?

In general, what makes a CD player (other than build components) 10x more costly than a decently built one other than features?
mrc4u
Nice spread of DACs. Too bad there's no Denafrips in the mix but you can't have everything. Keep us posted.

All the best,
Nonoise
Choosing my Marantz CD6005 was a two part decision 1. Price /performance and 2. CD’s don’t last.
I am careful with my gear, and despite that I have many CD’s out of 400 or so that just wont play - not just on fussy hi-fi but in the standard car CD player. I have LP’s bought 50 years ago that play perfectly. So, my conclusion is to get a good, cheap CD player and make my vinyl the prime listening device.Gathering thoughts about digital music and have about 120GB saved, just confused as to delivery as it does seem to still be the wild west with massive prices on high end.
surferandy,
What do you mean when you say that CDs don't last? I have destroyed many for sure by abusing them in cars in the past (no more), but if you take care of them, there is no reason they shouldn't last. I've had many since the beginning that are still going strong.
"...what makes a CD player (other than build components) 10x more costly..."
Someone's willingness to pay for it. Parts rarely account for such a tremendous difference.

Having said that, more expensive things have, in my experience, sounded better every time. Whatever that "better" is. It must be something in engineering, but I suspect the crucial part is DAC.
"I have LP’s bought 50 years ago that play perfectly."
Have you ever changed the stylus?

"I have many CD’s out of 400 or so that just wont play - not just on fussy hi-fi but in the standard car CD player"
That is what happened to me when CD player's laser started dying.

Are the CDs that did not last original/bought ones or you burned them yourself? Those burned do get messed up after a while. I do not have 50 year old CDs, but some are approaching 30 and last I checked they were fine.