BookShelf or Floor Standing Speakers

I have previously posted regarding buying bookshelf speakers.  Bookshelf is all I have ever owned.  I prefer speakers for two channel stereo listening.  I am thinking about buying floor standing. 

Has anyone had bookshelves for stereo listening and changed to floor standing?  I am afraid to make the change.  Do you think floor standing gives a better listening experience in stereo?  Can you turn them up very loud?
Thanks
stttt
Whether floorstanders will be an improvement is highly subjective as noted above. Even though I have a fairly large room, for my budget, I prefer standmount speakers with subs.

I found that MOST of the more affordable floorstanders (under $5K/pair) have compromises in the cabinet construction that cause audible resonance. This prevents them from achieving transparent imaging. Some exceptions can be found in small floorstanders, for example, the Spendor A7s. However, at that size and cost, you can get nice standmounts and two subs that might actually perform better in the bass. Of course, if you prefer a more streamlined solution, floorstanders have the advantage.

Generally, I find that small/medium monitors are better at disappearing as sources of sound, for any given budget. Their cabinets have less surface area that can be excited into audible ringing/resonance.

OTOH, large floorstanders (with large drivers) play music with greater scale. On average, they're also more sensitive, and therefore, can better produce dynamics  at low volumes. 

My preferred compromise between these two extremes are medium-sized standmount monitors with large midwoofers (8 or 10"). I also prefer the "lossy," damped cabinets that are designed to flex with the driver output, rather than mitigate resonance through heavy panels and bracing. The latter tend to produce cabinet resonances in the 500Hz - 1kHz range. The problem with that behavior (depending on the Q), is resonance in those frequencies sounds like ringing and grain to the human ear - it interferes with the frequencies where music tends to have greatest energy. Ultimately, it leads to listening fatigue, IME. Unfortunately, that is the chosen cabinet design for many floorstanders. The ones that are thick, heavy, and braced enough to practically do away with resonance are expensive.

In contrast, the "lossy" cabinet designs, pioneered by the BBC, tend to produce resonances around 250Hz or lower. The human ear associates this frequency range with the music's "body" and bass overtones. It does not impede on the most energetic areas of the midrange, which is why a $4K speaker with of this design principle can produce a midrange on-par with six-figure speakers. 

Like most aspects of this hobby, there are compromises that must be weighed against the listener's preferences. I prefer to own 3 pairs of $4K standmounts that I can rotate through my systems to keep things interesting, rather than own one pair of $12K floorstanders that could potentially give me the best of both worlds with scale and imaging.

If I got rid of my stand mount Ref 3A de Capos i would go with Pi 4's or Altecs or something big and hi-eff like that
Generally speaking  

• Bookshelves give better bang for buck (most $1000 bookshelves sound better in their frequency range than towers) which makes sense, especially factoring in shipping.  
  • Towers have more bass, varies from a little to a lot.  
  • Towers have a bit higher max SPL than bookshelves from the same model line. 
  • Bookshelves are more customizable to your listening height by simply buying the correct height stands, some towers may have their reference axis too high/low, which would require tilting and whatnot, which can only help so much.  

Depending on the budget, I usually recommend a subwoofer anyway, so the bass extension benefit of towers is mostly negated, and crossing over bookshelves will add a bit more SPL (unless already maxing out wattage handling). 

Bass frequency soundwaves  are so much longer than midrange and treble frequencies ( a 20 Hz bass full cycle soundwave is 56' long and a 20K Hz full cycle wave is a fraction of an inch long) and behave so differently in a typical room that I believe it makes a lot of sense to use high quality stand mounted bookshelf speakers for optimum midrange, treble and stereo soundstage imaging and then position at least two small to medium sized high quality subs in the room for optimum bass response at the designated listening seat. 
     I'd suggest two SVS SB-1000(sealed sub) or PB-1000 (ported sub)subs that can be currently purchased for $950/pair for either model.  These are high quality subs that are a true bargain because they perform more like a $1,000 sub from other brands.  Here's a link to the SB-1000:

https://www.svsound.com/collections/1000-series/products/sb-1000

You can optimally position each sub, in relation to the listening seat by utilizing the 'crawl' method.  Once the subs are positioned, position your choice of bookshelf speakers on stands for optimum midrange, treble and soundtage imaging performance in relation to your designating listening seat.
     The last step is to configure the volume, crossover frequency and phase control settings on each sub so the subs and your main speakers blend together seamlessly as a unified whole.  I'd recommend running your speakers full-range and setting the volume and crossover frequencies as low as possible with the combined sound still sounding very good to you. Remember, the goal is not to constantly notice the subs being active, but for them to become active only when the music recording calls for it.  I can describe a few easy ways to optimally set the phase controls on each sub if you decide to use bookshelf speakers with two subs setup.
     The main issue I have with floor standing speakers is that the bass sections are not independently positioned in the room for optimum bass performance.  These types of speakers are typically positioned for optium midrange, treble and soundstage imaging, in relation to the designated listening seat, and this determines the location of the bass drivers in the room since they are permanently attached, usually just below the other speaker drivers.  This positioning is unlikely to be their optimum positions in the room in terms of bass performance at the listening seat.

Tim
Not to take this thread sideways but what about running the risk of not getting optimal integration with the subs and stand mounts? I prefer stand mounts for aethetics and mobility but I'm scared of never getting subs to integrate correctly for all music.