Which Class D Amplifier? PS Audio, Ghent, Nord, Merrill or other???

I’m looking for a new amp & want Class D.

I’ve seen various brands mentioned, such as PS Audio, Ghent, Nord, Merrel to name a few, but I’ve not heard any of them.

Which company is producing the best sounding Class D?
Which models should I be looking to demo?

Thanks

singintheblues
Tweak1,  after endless searching,  I realized that I cant buy in USA $$$$. So I decided on apollon as4800,  8 channel using 1200as2 for $3200.00.  After some serious deep digging apollon is extremely well constructed,  1200as is latest tech, very well laid out. D sonic, ati, cherry, etc.... out of my price range. Need this for surround,  4 atmos and center. I will keep my fronts with the bat. My room does double duty ht and music. After this I am doing room treatment and 2 svs sb3000.  Very excited to see how this as4800 performs.  Hoping for the best. Once broken in, I will try it on the fronts.  Hoping to go all class d.
Pete
excellent. Keep in mimd we're probably discussion minutia, especially when talking multi-channel

My guess is you will be blown away
I bought a ps audio s300 when I had to have my tube Amp serviced... I knew it was going to take a while and was going to be entertaining some out of town visitors. I’m shocked at how good it sounds.

I’d tried class D before and, while initially impressed... Eventually left me cold...Too Sterile and thin sounding to my ears.

Does it sound as good as my Musical Reference RM9 mk2? No...but I really like it and didn’t switch back for quite a while once I got my tube Amp back. I could easily live with it as my main Amp.

It probably helps that I’m feeding it with a great tube linestage.

Incredible value from a superb company.

pcc67,

That Apollon as4800 looks very nice and should work exceptionally well for your surround channels, powerful, accurate, clean and clear performance.
     I noticed your next addition may be room treatment and two subs.   It looks like two SVS-SB3000 subs would cost about $2,000.   I believe SVS subs are very good subs at reasonable prices and I think they're a good choice.  
     However, I wanted to point out that at about a $2K budget you do have multiple options that will provide different quality levels of bass response in your room.  Here are 3 options in order of expected performance quality level for both a music and HT system:

1. Good- Two SVS SB-3000 subs for about $2,000 ($1,000 each).  Two properly positioned and configured subs in a given room typically provides bass response at a designated listening seat that's approximately twice the quality level of utilizing a single sub. Two subs provide increased bass output capacity and impact as well as increased bass dynamics due to the sharing of total bass requirements between two subs operating well within their limits and stress free with ample power reserves for sudden bass output dynamic demands.
     Psychoacoustic principles also begin to be applied beginning with the use of two subs in any given room that results in the bass being perceived as smoother, more detailed and better integrated with the main speakers.  
     To understand how this psycho acoustic process works, it's important to understand how bass soundwaves behave in a room with a single sub.  Soundwaves increase in length as the frequency decreases and deep bass tone soundwaves are very long.  A full cycle soundwave of a 20 Hz deep bass tone is 56' long, a 30 Hz is 36', a 40 Hz is 28' and a 50 Hz is 23'.  It's also important to know three facts:
1. Our brains can't even process the presence of a deep bass tone until the full cycle soundwave exists in the room and our ears have inputted this information into the brain. 
2. Our brains require the input of at least three full cycle bass soundwaves before we are able to recognize a change in pitch.
3.  Our brains cannot localize deep bass tones (detect where the sounds are coming from) with frequencies below 100 Hz.
     With the deep bass soundwaves being longer than any room dimension in many individuals' rooms, this means the soundwave will leave the single sub and need to travel as far as it can in the room and then reflect off the first room boundary (floor, ceiling or wall) it meets then keep traveling in the reflected direction until it meets the next room boundary. This process continues until the soundwave runs out of energy and with each subsequent bass tone launched into the room by the single sub. 
    These numerous bass soundwaves of various frequencies launched into the room by the single sub, and reflecting off room boundaries, inevitably run into each other at various angles causing what are called a Bass Room Mode at each specific room location at which they meet or collide.  Depending on the specific angle at which the soundwaves meet, we perceive these bass room modes at specific spots in the room as either a bass overemphasis (bass peak), a bass attenuation (bass dip) or even a bass cancelation (bass null).  The result is an overall perception of the bass from a single sub as uneven or 'lumpy'.
     However, when a second sub is properly deployed and positioned in the room, the very interesting and useful principles of psychoacoustics (how our brains process sound and our perceptions of it) begin to come into play, which results in a perception that the bass is smoother, more detailed, better integrated with the main speakers and more natural or realistic.
      Unexpectedly, this is accomplished through the second sub actually significantly increasing the number of bass room modes (bass peaks, dips and nulls) in the room.  Our brains naturally process the presence of multiple bass soundwaves below 100 Hz, by adding them together by frequency and averaging them out.  This results in fewer bass modes being perceived in the room and a perception overall that the bass is smoother, more detailed, better blended with the main speakers and more natural.  

Acoustical experts, such as Dr. Earl Geddes, Dr. Floyd Toole and others, have proven scientifically that in-room bass performance perception improves as more subs are added to virtually any given room, beginning with two subs and with improvements continuing up to the theoretical limits.  Of course, there's a practical limit to the acceptable number of subs in a domestic room. 
     I'm fairly certain the exact number of subs considered acceptable in a domestic room is higher for most men than most women but, interestingly, the scientists found significant bass performance gains were attained with each additional sub up to four but smaller more marginal gains were attained with each additional sub beyond four.

2. Better- Three SVS SB-1000 or PB-1000 subs for about $1,500 ($500 each) or three SVS SB-3000 subs for about $3,000 ($1,000 each).  Three properly positioned and configured subs in a given room typically provides bass response at a designated listening seat that's approaching the optimum quality level attainable at a single listening position. Three subs provide even further increased bass output capacity and impact as well as further increased bass dynamics due to the sharing of total bass requirements between three subs operating well within their limits and stress free with very large power reserves for sudden bass output dynamic demands.
     Psychoacoustic principles are more strongly applied with the use of three subs, as opposed to two subs, in any given room that results in the bass being perceived as even smoother, more detailed and better integrated with the main speakers.  

3. Best- The Audio Kinesis 4-sub Swarm distributed bass array(DBA) system for about $2,800.  This is a complete kit that includes four 4 ohm unamplified subs that are each 1' x 1' x 28", weigh 44lbs and have a 10" aluminum long-throw driver and a 1,000 watt class AB amplifier/controller that powers all four subs and controls the volume, crossover frequency and phase of all as a group.  
      The use of a 4-sub DBA system will provide near state of the art bass performance not only at a single listening position but throughout the entire room.  This is very useful if you have multiple seating positions in your room and prefer having very good audio at each position for both music and HT.

Of course, only the designated listening position will be optimized for both bass response and midrange, treble response and stereo imaging but very good full-range audio will still be provided at each seating position.
     Since you also mentioned you want to add room treatments, another benefit of the 4-sub DBA option#3 is that absolutely no bass room treatments are necessary. You'd just need to incorporate room treatments for the midrange and treble response on your main speakers (first reflection points on each side wall and possibly some treatment on the front and rear walls).    
     You also could create your own custom 4-sub DBA system, rather than using the complete Swarm system, by utilizing four SVS SB or PB-1000 subs for about $1,900 ( $950 discounted price for a each pair of SVS subs).  The only down side is that you'd need to configure the volume, crossover frequency and phase settings individually for each of the four SVS subs rather than once for all four subs as a group on the Swarm system.  Here's a link to an Absolute Sound review of the A K Swarm system that is very accurate (I use this system in a 23'x16'x8' room with Magnepan main speakers and it works like a charm).

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audiokinesis-swarm-subwoofer-system/

Sorry about the length of this post but I thought it was important to be thorough.

Tim