Herron VTPH-2A final thoughts.

A year ago, I took the plunge and purchased a new phono pre-amp, the VTPH-2A. I'd read numerous posts on this forum about how special it is, head and shoulders above the rest. I'd also read that Keith Herron is the definition of quality, in terms of knowledge, customer service, and being real as a human being.  I'll be as objective as I can be: everything that was stated is 100% true. I've easily spent hundreds of hours spinning up vinyl with the VTPH-2A and nearly every time my comment to myself is, "damn that's good." Many audiophiles would fret about the synergy with other system components. My opinion is that it would be an overachiever in any system that endeavors to produce fine music.
With respect to Keith, I contacted him not for technical support or customer service, but to let him know how pleased I was with my purchase. His response was so gracious, I felt like I was talking to a friend or good neighbor. Definitely someone honest and worth doing business with.
I want to close this post by thanking the folks on the forum for sharing experience and what you know. I live a very rural life and don't travel much. Opportunities to critique a variety of equipment at shows or audio shops are virtually nonexistent for me. Audiogon has been an excellent place to narrow down the thousands of possible choices that I could never possibly pursue and sometimes get solid advice =)
professorsvsu
Next day - The music is flirting with me and I'm responding.  Sick bastard I know but it turns me on!  An unquantifiable quality that makes great gear great.  That's my review.  
Post removed 
Only a few hours in now so way too soon but here are some first impressions on the 360 vs. Ref 3 before they fade away. The Ref 3 shows its strengths in timbre, bass and coherence. Vocals and instruments are what they actually sound like. It’s convincing. The 360 lacks refinement in that area (so far).
The Ref 3 low bass is tight and articulate. I use Led Zeppelin’s Celebration Day "Since I’ve Been Loving You" for well recorded low bass. The 360’s bass is big, fat and one note-ish on that same track. I’m ok with that. I’ve never met a 6922 (family) tube that didn’t get a LOT leaner and meaner by about 80 hours.
While the Ref 3 adds a warm tone to the mids that can be pleasant, it muddles low range female vocals. The 360 has an illuminated midrange. I’m listening to Peter, Paul and Mary’s live "500 miles" at the moment and she’s very clear and sweet. That illumination also allows the 360 to articulate at a much lower volume. With the Ref 3 I’m constantly turning up the volume to hear vocals or instruments that homogenize into the background or don’t carry the weight that they should, as if they were improperly mixed.
The 360 betters the Ref 3 in inner detail, depth, articulation, dynamics, and speed. The notes can start and stop so quickly that, at times, I’m dumbfounded. Music is driven from within as if it had a life of its own and it’s intoxicating. The Ref 3 is great for chamber music, The 360 rocks!

In case anyone is still following this thread I thought I'd pose a quick question to this group.  My unit came configured with the two 12AX7 tubes and three 12AT7 tubes, thus providing 64dB gain in MC mode and 43dB gain in MM mode.  It appears that you can simply roll 12AX7 tubes into the 2nd gain stage (replacing two of the 12AT7) in order to increase gain by 5dB - which is the alternative configuration that Keith provides.  I just wrote Keith this morning asking this question but I wanted to see if any of you had a quick answer.  I ended up recently moving into a line stage that provides 10dB less gain than my old one so reclaiming a bit of gain in my chain may be helpful.
Keith responded quickly to my question above and confirmed what I suspected -  a pair of 12AX7s will give me about 5dB more gain.