Weight, Clamp or stabilizer?

I have a vintage Pioneer PL-560 Direct-Drive Automatic Turntable purchased around 1980. 
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/pioneer/pl-560.shtml
I'm trying to get it to produce the best sound its capable of.  I plan to order a set of SVS subwoofer feet to replace the worn feet (I have an SVS subwoofer and removed its feet and temporarily placed them on the TT base with good results).  I read an article about TT tweaks.  A few things they suggested were an upgraded mat, clamp and isolation feet.  Thing is since the TT is a direct drive I don't know how much extra weight it can take (if any), and the spindle is about 7/8 inches tall so I don't know if that's enough for a clamp.  The original rubber mat it came with is in great shape. Do I need to replace it, too? I'm willing to invest in tweaks to improve this turntable, but not interested in replacing it.
mewsickbuff

mewsickbuff
 OP
136 posts
06-27-2019 6:05pm
I have the Shure m97xe high-performance magnetic phono cartridge. The arm is the original arm. I found instructions for cartridge and my specific turntable's arm setup online in the operating instruction manual, rare and detailed.

I also use M97xe. Love it, actually prefer it to my two Microline's (shure and audio technica).

Shure just stopped making stylus, the prices have tripled in a short time, keep your eye out for a replacement stylus at some kind of price.

I've had some fancy tt in my time, prior favorite was Thorens with SME arm, but my floors are too springy, it's bearing not good with vertical movement. I am quite happy with my current Audio Technica LP120 so I know what type of arm you have as well.

Often, finer engineering, i.e. 7 pound platter, involves the avoidance of potential problems, not apparent improvements in it's fundamental purpose.

I bought an acrylic matt, but can't tell it's full impact yet but could hear it's more detailed than my original rubber matt. Instead of the SVS subwoofer feet, I've opted for a set of 4 Isoacoustics Orea bronze as replacement feet.

http://www.isoacoustics.com/orea-bronze/
Hopefully they'll be here next week.
@elliotbnewcombjr are you saying I should pass on the clamp and weight because they may damage the TT's 7 lb platter? Any other advice or  recommendations on what to use instead?
I installed 4 SVS ISOfeet under my VPI Ares3 with the super platter option (the TT weighs in around 70 pounds).  I did not simply machine screw the feet to the base of the turntable as the feet have a metal cup around the medium durometer rubber.  I wanted to isolate the metal cup from the base completely.  I drilled out the center hole to approximately 1/2 inch diameter, then installed a rubber grommet in the hole and installed the 1/4x20 machine screw in the center of the grommet.  I cut neoprene foam circles out of a mouse pad and used those as a gasket between the metal cup and the underside base of the TT.  After screwing the feet into place, the ISOfeet are completely isolated by rubber from the TT base and there is now about 2 inches of the ISOfeet isolating the TT from the shelf.  I have virtually zero vibration feeding into the TT under very heavy dynamic music with a lot  of bass.   I even put the same feet under my Whest Phono stage and the outboard power supply unit.  You would be amazed at how the soundstage and imaging opened up.  Vibration plays a major role in muddying up things.

A set of 4 of the feet are only $50.  I used 4 under the TT and 3 each under the phono chassis and power supply.