Should I keep the Turntable or sell it?

I’ve been back and forth on this decision for about a month, and the more I learn, the harder this decision gets.

Backstory: I won the brand new Cambridge Audio Alva TT turntable in an online contest in mid-May, and while it sounds great, I decided to list it for sale a couple weeks ago. I’ve always wanted to try out a Rega P6 or P3 with a really nice cart, because I feel like I’m not getting enough out of my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. Prior to winning the Alva TT, I switched the Red Ortofon out for the Blue, and there was a great improvement in sound quality. But after comparing the Pro-Ject to the Alva TT and hearing what a $1700 turntable can sound like, I definitely am interested in exploring more high fidelity turntables. The issue is that I feel like I prefer the sound of tubes over solid state, and the Alva TT uses an integrated Alva Duo phono preamp for the RCA out, and their own DAC for the Bluetooth out if I want to go that route. I don’t have a ton of experience with tubes, and maybe it’s just the “cool factor” I actually like and I’m just having a placebo effect.

So I decided to list it for sale to try and get a Rega, because I heard so many great things about them. But over the last week or so, I’ve learned more about the Alva TT and how it uses Rega’s famous tonearm. I looked up the cart and it is listed at $500 separately, which is probably why it sounds better than the Pro-Ject w/ Ortofon Blue. I’ve also read on these boards about direct drive being better than belt, which the Alva has as well. It also has the added bonus of Bluetooth that go directly to my KEF LS50 Wireless, but I would most likely just use interconnects.

So I would love to get some advice from you all. I’ve gone back and forth about keeping the Alva or selling it, along with my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, and buying/trading for something like a Rega P3 or P6. If you had my first world problem, what would you do?
bignamehere
@best-groove 👍

@analogluvr I have listened to the following tables on at least 2 occasions:

Direct Drive:
1. Higher end Technics - friend’s dad’s table
2. Cambridge Audio Alva TT - my own Turntable

Belt Drive
1. Pro-Ject Carbon Debut (Ortofon Blue 2M) - my table
2. Marantz TT-15S1 - local shop
3. Clearaudio Concept MM - local shop
4. Rega P3 w/ Elys - local shop
5 Rega P6 - friend’s table

If I were to rank them in preference for the sound I appreciate, it would probably be this:

1. Marantz TT-15S1
2. Clearaudio Concept
3. Rega P6 (wine may have helped)
4. Pro-Ject (Ortofon Blue 2M)
5. Alva TT
6. Technics tying Rega P3

I have a feeling, I have a preference for higher end cartridges. The Clearaudio Virtuoso sounded slightly warm, but very clear.

If you are into white papers and stuff like that, try looking at the Basis Turntables.  They are great tables and you can find them used in the same ball park as the tables you listed. 
 It is very hard with all these different comparisons as I assume none of the other variables were accounted for.  Cartridge  definitely has a huge impact on the sound, more so than the table 
@analogluvr I would definitely agree with that statement... there are too many variables. But my original hypothesis still stands and aligns with your statement that cartridge plays a large role in the overall quality and character of the sound. So if we want to just look at the cartridges that come with the tables, that might be better. An additional hypothesis is that all the turntables I am considering are within an acceptable range of quality and performance to each other, so we can consider the “turntable package” as a whole, with the cartridge being the major determinant. Also, from a retail “package” perspective, tables come with only one or two options for cartridges. For example, the Pro-Ject Classic SB can come with an Ortofon Silver, Ortofon Red Quintet MC, or a Sumiko Blue Point #2. You can assume the Pro-Ject table is within the same quality and performance range as a Rega P3, Marantz TT-15S1, and Clearaudio Concept. 

With all that in mind, would higher quality cartridge be the main determining factor? I would say yes, so I am leaning towards a turntable that comes with the highest quality cartridge... the Marantz.

I know your mind is pretty much made up already but imho you are possibly looking at it all a little off kilter.

As your testing has already determine the better cart has made the most impression on you, NOT the better table.

I would be shopping for the best TABLE I could afford even if it did not have the best cart right now.

Then I would be shopping for a better cart later as funds allow knowing that the better table combined with the later purchase better cart is going to pay big dividends.

However that’s me and if you are just looking for the best package deal right now within your budget then so be it.

But you likely already know this merry go round never stops......

Just my view from " been there, done that" and not meant as any criticism at all.