Buy a pair of ten year old $40,000 speakers for $4,000 or new ones at that price point?

Hi. There are bargains to be had on really high-end components that are more than a few years old. DACs change too much and we need the newer technology. How about speakers? I know it can depend on the specific model but in general is a 10 year old speaker system that was $40,000 in 2009 and now sells for $4,000 a better value than a new system that sells for $4,000 in 2019?  How much has speaker and crossover technology evolved in the past decade or so? (I posted a similar questions about amps in that forum). Thanks for all the input and wisdom.
mcmanus
 My 25+ year old Legacy Focus speakers are still being made, with higher quality parts, for $13,000 while used older pairs go for $2-3,000.   However, the older units sound better.   Same with the Legacy Signature IIIs, selling for $1-2,000 (foam surrounds on woofers need to be redone rubberized).  New Signatures are about $7,000.   So, not 10X cheaper but very significant bargains in the used category for great speakers.
Big heavy speakers are a challenge to sell at any age. So when someone has to move them, bargains are possible. So key is listen to them and assess their value.  But speakers do need foaming when they age, and that could be a problem. Also are parts available, is the company in business still, etc? This would greatly diminish the value. Custom updates are possible, but at the buyers discretion and caution. I love bargains. I say go for it. My Bozak speakers I gave away to a friend are selling for real money 40 years later!
I had a local speaker repairman restore my bottom foam surround woofers of my Legacy Signature IIIs with rubber surrounds.  Strange that the other two woofers and my Focuses all used rubber surrounds in great shape after 30 years.
rubber surrounds will last forever, but they don't sound as good as foam surround, which have limited life span, especially if you live in hi humidity area 
There is so much wisdom in these responses. Thanks so much. I should have suggested a closer ratio, say $20,000 to $4,000 but almost everyone got my point. There are some great War stories here. It fun to hear them. Thanks for the sharing.