Why According to some Turntable extremists Pitch Control and Direct Drive is Sacrilege?

Why shouldnt perfect direct drive speed and pitch control be part of an Audiophile turntable system.  Not having pitch control is like missing a stereo mono switch.
Every high end turntable should have pitch control. 
vinny55
@has2be

You really should get use to adding to your Japanese DD obsession diatribes with the caveat...."in your opinion"...not everyone does or is required to be that narrow of mind and sight to enjoy their music , played back their way.

I don’t even read after that paragraph, you did not even mentioned what turntable are you refering to as your own choice while i have actually mentioned some exceptional vintage and new direct drive turntables with current price tag. So, again, i have no idea what you’re talking about, i hope you’re not advocating for those cheap plastic belt drives like Rega or similar junk, because i’ve seen and tried them, most of my friend (newbies) who bought them by mistake (brainwashed by reviews) replaced them later with vintage Technics DD recently and noticed huge improvement in everything from sound quality to usability (and it was affordable high-end, talking about this pair). And all of them who did not replaced them yet, but heard my DDs in my system, are willing to replace their belt drive turntables as soon as possible.

Glad you own all types of turntables, but you won’t tell us the brands, exact models and prices.

I don’t want to own all types of turntables, i only need a few, but i want to make sure the speed is correct, the sound is great and i don’t have to service them often. I’m much more interesting in tonearms and cartridges to reach my audio nirvana. I appreciate design of those vintage DDs and i don’t like the design and everything associated with belt drives in the same price range, there is nothing to choose, really.

If you think there is some in $1500-3000 price range than can compete with Luxman PD-444, Denon DP-80, Victor TT-101 or Technics SP-10mkII please add links and we will see what do you mean. There are mode decent DDs, but i onwly mentined what i have (had).

There is a belt drive that does not looks like a plastic toy, but it’s $30k minimum (without tonearms). It is not affordable for me.

At the moment your post in pointless untill you will name turntables of your choice if you’re so proud of the belt drives.

@chakster 

You really  , really , really should read , then comprehend BEFORE you reply. Where did I say or give the idea I was all about belted tables or cheap plastic stuff. Why are you so demeaning to anyone who points out there are other choices besides what you narrowly see and opine like your the gospel according to chatter.
I like , own and appreciate all drives for their individual sound and the unique way each approaches the same goals for playback. I currently own an Orbe SE with Graham 2.0 tc arm,
Recently purchased back my Micro RX 5000 and put on an Sme iv arm and the max 282 I had kept. I have a Lenco 75 with a Trans Fi terminator arm. I recently refurbished an SP 10 mkii A and set it in a panzerhotz and carbon plinth with the EPA 100 mkii arm I bought with it. I have a Reed 3p arm to be used on a custom table I am in the middle of building (mass weight heavy plinth and platter belt drive.
I use to repair and refurbished many of those Japanese DD tables so it's a mystery to me why your  so thick and quick to defend what you don't need to. I NEVER said they were inferior or belts were better....that's your thing to run others choices down because they don't match yours and even go off half cocked when no one said your wrong , but desparaging others opinions and choices is not impressive,  at all.
I am fully aware of how good many DD tables were in their day and how the value they have can be good IF YOU LIKE THE SOUND OF THEM. To some they don't do it for them , some like a good idler , others a good belted unit for THEIR preference and budget.  Not everyone can afford what some of us took a lifetime to build up and enjoy. This I do know, many a Rega owner is happy with what they have, enjoy it and that's all that matters. Owning this stuff isn't impressive chackster,  it's fortunate we do , but the guy with the lowly belt drive you actually used the word hate to describe. ......he enjoys his own preference, his music and gear as much as anyone....so why be a jerk and look down on them.....respectful attitudes to fellow enthusiasts  costs nothing. .......

Chakster you really dont get it do you? My belt drive does speed as well as a direct drive and is a 65# beast. Some other belt drives too. Any reasonably engineered tt can do it ( manufacturing a different story ) plenty of other parameters affect sound at least as much as w& f.I like the Technics too but I’ve heard direct drives sound like a hollow mess. Again, one topology not necessarily king. Dont be so cynical it’s all good
"I don’t want to own all types of turntables, i only need a few..."
As much as I understand where it is coming from, no wonder normal people think audiophiles are slightly ridiculous.
: )

Let me put it this way ... my PD444 sounded like hollow... well accuracy if you like. In other words, digital. And actually its seeming dynamics sounded more like just sheer power not real dynamics, e.g. music really, just power. All in all, its sound didn´t manage to move me emotionally, spiritually nor intellectually.

I know exactly what´s happening deep inside that monster deck, that Godzilla of ancient DD TT dinosaur.