Can we finally put Reel to Reel out of its misery? Put it to rest people.

The format is dying and too expensive to repair properly. Heads wear out so easy and many out there are all worn.
High quality technicians are either retired or long gone. Its such an inconvenient format that can be equalled by nakamichi easily in tape decks.
Retire it please put them in museums. 
vinny55
Chakster

You are certainly correct on cost.
But there are some great rare finds out there... At a significant cost.

I prefer to record my own from hires streaming.
@chakster 

Some of the best tapes come from the 1950s and 60s.  Classical, Jazz, Motown, R&B, Big Band, Vocal, there is so much selection available... The cherry on top is all the Pop and Rock from the late 60s and the 1970s!

Plus a well cared for tape from the 1950s (or any decade) will totally outplay the same title on a well cared for piece of vinyl. No ‘surface noise’, clicks, pops, static, or need for deep cleaning. No more of the resigned sentiment “I like the clicks and the pops, it’s part of the experience”.

With tape you just get the incredible illusion of real music being played for you.
To better illustrate Bretts excellent point.

I have a very nice copy of closer to home by Grand Funk on vinyl and same on r2r at 7.5ips.

My tt playback is no slouch but even on pioneer rt701 the reel is more satisfying in terms of depth and spatial imaging.
It just sounds more "real" Gor want of any better description.

Just depends how deep your wallet is on buying pre recorded reels. A lot out there but some crazy prices for real popular stuff like Zep or Floyd.
@brettmcee at what tracks and speeds sound the best? What make and model are the most reliable and best sounding?