Can we finally put Reel to Reel out of its misery? Put it to rest people.

The format is dying and too expensive to repair properly. Heads wear out so easy and many out there are all worn.
High quality technicians are either retired or long gone. Its such an inconvenient format that can be equalled by nakamichi easily in tape decks.
Retire it please put them in museums. 
vinny55
I have some 50s pre-recorded RRs that are amazingly good but transferred them to CD via the Alesis Masterlink.
I've used the Masterlink extensively. Its OK, but is really an artifact of the early 2000s and not up to snuff with modern digital recording gear, studio grade reel to reels or LP. I've compared it side by side plenty of times. Nice for what it is though. I've got one for sale cheap.
I honestly believe after cabling, music delivery medium is probably the least important aspect of a solid hi-fi system. If you have a properly performing and well attended to setup, you can get lost in well made mp3 files just as easily as tape. You might not listen as long, but a good deal of pleasure can still be had.

With tape, there is something so unmediated and transparent its hard to explain.  As a delivery medium tape will just knock your mouth agape in awe and wonder.   
I HAVE A FEW Reel to Reel prosumer decks, but I would make two points here. #1- I listen with great pleasure to VERY old 78's played on the radio here on WLRN Sunday nights from 8-12MN. The sound quality is terrible but the music is captivating and wonderful if you can get into it.  Once upon a time there were ONLY tube radios and they were wonderful. They played everything- comedy, news, big bands, classical, 
blues- everything. Or you went out to the cinema or took in a concert.
Clubs played all kinds of live music. The IPOD is not necessarily an improvement, nor is your phone. Which is how most people think they're getting such a great experience. So it's a matter of opinion.
#2- Reel to Reel is not dead if you have a studio-quality machine built to last a very long time. But that also means you have to calibrate it and maintain it properly. A Studer-810 or an Otari MTR series (or better) can handle tapes properly and play them and record them the way it's supposed to be. Then taping will be the least hassle and the most rewarding. Of course the deck will be heavy and take up space. Years ago prosumer machines were easy to fix or replace. But unfortunately
those days have passed us by. And I agree that 15IPS audiophile tapes
are far too expensive. Make your own at 7IPS from someones' vinyl collection. And don't forget to listen to Bessie Smith recordings once in awhile. They're sure to put a smile on your face. 
I had an Akai Reel to Reel deck I bought overseas at a base exchange Rota, Spain in 1981. 

It was a fine piece and sounded fantastic. It even had a plastic dust cover that went over the reels.

I sold it around '93/'94 for what amounts to peanuts.  This was before the internet.

I wish I still had it only because I could sell it for a lot more now.  

I still play my records but that's as far as I will go as far as inconvenience is concerned.  Life's getting too short to be constantly fiddling and not listening.

That was a totally erroneous statement; a reel is much less trouble than a turntable. I bought a reel in order to listen to a number of records without getting up to turn them over, and as a matter of fact my first reel was an Akai.

Face it, you wish you hadn't sold it because you would really like to hear the pristine beauty of that Akai reel again.