What percentage of audiophiles use a sub ?

Since joining the site I have noticed that a lot of you don't actually use a subwoofer. I was pretty surprised by this as I could never listen to any music without some good low-end, so, curious how many do and how many don't and if not, why.
thomastrouble
"Done Right", is the key, being challenged physically, from an accident; I live in an apartment. I have for many years,
not by choice.With a total of 4 sub-woofers, 3 Velodyne in my main set-up.One is a 18", the other two are 15"'s.
With music around me, there is simply no need to "crank" the
volume.In All the years, never 1 single complaint from anyone.My neighbor is a 94 year old lady.
Even with Movies, I never need to worry about offending anyone.My computer audio, is not bad, I use a JBL small unit, thatis fine, but, is in no shape or form, even in the same class as the Velodynes.
From the moment I first heard a Velodyne, I loved how it
integrated with the mains, without making itself known at all! I Love Bass, but not when it is "boosted" to where,
it is obvious, a sub-woofer is present.
When folks leave, and say "I never knew You had 3 subs.! much less, even 1!" That is what I like to hear.
Now, several times, I have had the neighbors ask, if I felt"the Earthquake earlier?"or if I heard any "gunfire"? I just look surprised...

I Love Music!
I have a pair of very well integrated ACI Titans. Awesome. No interference with mains at all. Only augment LFs for complete satisfaction of 2-channel music. You'd never know they're used, unless you turn them off. Properly integrated such that they do not mess up sound from mains and their physical presence is unlocatable.
Hi Guys,

OP just checking in to say thanks for all the responses. Not much to say here except to say I am enjoying the reads and to convey my appreciation.
I used to be skeptical of the advantage of a sub with 2 channel audio. Then, a system switch to 300B tubes and some vintage Altec 604 speakers brought a glorious lifelike midrange but a less than satisfying lower bass.

Feeling I was getting closer to my goal soundwise, I thought I'd spend time tweeking further to try and get it closer to an ideal I held in my mind.

First one sub helped, then a second was better. The room is fairly large and it wasn't until a third sub was added at the opposite end that things started to come together. I think the addition of more subs within the larger room environment was crucial as they really don't work very hard individually to load the area.

The subs took a while to get phase,level and crossover correct. Using a radio shack analog meter and careful voicing helped. Also indispensible was that the subs are active but they are also volume and balance controlled seperately from the mains by an SS preamp. This allows full control to the exact level needed by the various music, room character, and degree of operator inebriation.

Further, I found having the subs staggered at various crossover points seems to make for seemless transition. Each sub is a different unit, tho two are Velodynes. Each seems to have a different strength, as one will do better at 20-40 hz and the others seem to sound better crossed higher.

True full frequency speakers with amps of differing character than the 300b units, combined with various room and other parameters will obviously give a different result than in my own. For the last few years I have been fully satisfied with the sound achieved here, even knowing and realizing of certain limitations within the current system.

The system as a whole sounds quite good. The subs are well integrated and you aren't aware of the presence they provide until they are shut down. Then they are quite missed for the foundation they give to the musical content.

My suggestion is to learn all you can by your own experience (with consideration given to the experience of others and on this forum especially) within your own room and system parameters and change as desired until you hit a better combination. Once you feel you are on the right path and getting closer, stop and enjoy what you have. Subtle tweeks within that range might just then take it to the next level.

Cheers,

RW
I had a sub, Martin Logan and sold it to fund something that rarely comes up for sale.Well, you don't know what your missing until it's gone.

The sub added foundation to the music and made the soundstage bloom.I will be in the future be buying 2 subs. I found with the sub in the system, it sounded better and more ingauging to listen to.